Earth bonding on plastic pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I re-plumbed a bathroom sink in zone 2 using plastic pipes up to the tap. I understand (I think) that this tap doesn't need bonding. Is there something specific that should be done with the earth bonding cable from the old copper pipes ?
Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The only exposed pipe to this tap is plastic.
n.b. just realised this should have been in leccy thread, but thanks for your interest anyway.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again, appreciate it, but the question is, is there something specific that should be done with the pertruding (disconnected from old copper pipes) earth bonding cable ?
Regards....

If you have a Steel Bath, you will find an Earth tag under the bath somewhere, this needs an Equipotential Earth bond attached

Thanks again, appreciate it, but the question is, is there something specific that should be done with the pertruding (disconnected from old copper pipes) earth bonding cable ?
Regards....
Cut it off, no need to connect it to anything.

You most certainly do NOT want it connected to a steel bath.

Regards....
Cut it off, no need to connect it to anything.

You most certainly do NOT want it connected to a steel bath.

Yet the cold main copper pipe to the said steel bath will be earthed????

Does anybody care about earth bonding? I notice the foreigners aren't
paranoid about earthing everything yet I don't see them being electrocuted
every other day

For those that care (which is probably no one), the correct method is described here: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/5.4.3.htm (section 2).
Although written for the previous regulations, the principle is still valid - however supplementary equipotential bonding is no longer required in kitchens and isn't always required in bathrooms.

The key point is joining together extraneous conductive parts - which means items which are both conductive (i.e. metal) and also enter the bathroom from outside, such as water pipes, heating pipes, metal waste pipes and cast iron soil pipes.

Conductive parts which are contained within the room do not need to be connected, this includes items such as metal baths, metal sinks, door handles, loo roll holders, window frames, towel rails and radiators.

Non conductive items such as plastic pipes do not need to be connected, so in a modern bathroom which has all plastic pipes, there is probably nothing to connect anyway.

Non conductive items such as plastic pipes do not need to be connected, so in a modern bathroom which has all plastic pipes, there is probably nothing to connect anyway.
The extraneous conductive parts must also be bonded to the CPCs (Earths) of each circuit supplying Class 1 and Class 2 equipment in the bathroom. For a wholly plastic piped installation, it is still necessary to bond together the CPCs. See: http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/EarthingPlasticPipes.pdf

As mentioned, however, under the 17th edition reg’s, when certain conditions are met, supplementary bonding may be omitted in a bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back