Earth Bonding trouble

Correct, but as the heating is gas fired and the heat transfer medium is water it shows that the internal water system is in all probability in contact with the general mass of earth. So all the bonding needs to be in place

Sponsored Links
on the ground floor all the heating pipework is within the concrete floor screed, I would class that as being in contact with the general mass of earth!
Central heating is one of the items listed as possible extraneous-conductive-parts in 411.3.1.2 and as such shall be main-bonded.
True, but I don't think for the reason being discussed - I suspect that is there to cater for situations in which 'centralised' central heating (e.g. in a block of flats) resulted in pipes entering the premises as e-c-ps.

As I wrote to westie, if one is going to postulate that, say, a concrete floor is sufficiently conductive to provide a 'relevant' path to earth for embedded pipes, then one has theoretically invoked the near-impossible task (in an existing building) of having to 'bond' the entire floor (which is, under those circumstances, an e-c-p)!

Kind Regards, John.

The reality of the beast is that it not unknown that in cases of lost neutral faults, it is not unknown for us to receive reports of shocks from taps etc in kitchens with concrete floors!
I don't doubt it - that's the same as my concerns about exported TN-C-S earths to outbuildings with potentially conductive floors in contact with the underling 'earth'. [of course, if I wanted to start a riot, I might point out that, even with a lost supply neutral, they wouldn't get a shock from taps whilst standing on a conductive concrete floor if there were no bonding of the pipework :)]

However, as I've said, it is to all intents and purposes impossible to bond the entire floor of either a house or an outbuilding - at least, after the floor is in place. I suppose that insulating it would be a more realistic thing to attempt (vinyl flooring should do it!).

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Correct, but as the heating is gas fired
I don't understand the reason to say that.
and the heat transfer medium is water it shows that the internal water system is in all probability in contact with the general mass of earth. So all the bonding needs to be in place
Then it will likely be connected via the tank/boiler etc. to the CH main bonding if correctly installed.
Supplementary bonding may be required on the (non CH) water system, but it is not likely.

What I am trying to do is show that in a lot of cases the separate services cannot be looked at in isolation.
So if it appears that the water is by, say, inspection not in contact with earth it probably will be by being connected to other services

What I am trying to do is show that in a lot of cases the separate services cannot be looked at in isolation.
They can if they are isolated.

So if it appears that the water is by, say, inspection not in contact with earth it probably will be by being connected to other services
I presume you mean THE earth.
I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave earlier.

I think the chances of being able to guarantee that a metallic piping system throughout an entire house is sufficiently isolated from stray earth paths as to be better left unbonded are slim, to put it mildly. When that fact was recognized and the need for bonding understood (and written into the Wiring Regs.) well over half a century ago, I find it rather curious that it can still attract this sort of debate today.

I think the chances of being able to guarantee that a metallic piping system throughout an entire house is sufficiently isolated from stray earth paths as to be better left unbonded are slim, to put it mildly. When that fact was recognized and the need for bonding understood (and written into the Wiring Regs.) well over half a century ago, I find it rather curious that it can still attract this sort of debate today.
It's presumably likely to become an increasing debate - 'over half a century ago', there were probably no non-metalic service supply pipes; in another half a century or so, there may be few metal ones left.

To mirror your curiosity, I'm also a little curious as to what 'stray earth paths' you are thinking about. If incoming service supply pipes (usually only gas and water, sometimes oil) are either themselves plastic, or include an insulating interuption very close to entry into the premises (as per the OP of this thread), and in the absence of metal waste pipes (which penetrate the earth) connected to metal baths/sinks (and, of course, in the absence of any 'bonding'!), I'm not sure what stray paths to earth you have in mind. All there seems to be is the substance of the building itself and, for a 'conventionally built house', that's extremely unlikely to offer a low enough resistance path to earth to be of any consequence (and, as discussed, if it did, it would somehow have to be bonded!).

You seem to be implying that there is a requirement for main bonding of internal metal pipework, per se, but that surely isn't the case? The only requirement for MPB relates to extraneous-conductive-parts - so if a service pipe enters a property as plastic, or is insulated from the house's metal pipework very soon after entry, I don't think there's anything in the Wiring Regs which actually requires MPB, is there? (but, as I said, try telling that to the (wo)man doing a PIR/EICR!).

Kind Regards, John.

Its a common misconception that extraneous refers to services entering a building, it does not, it means any metallic parts inside the building that are not part of the electrical installation.
I agree that it doesn't specifically mean 'services entering a building', but nor does it mean "any metalic parts.....". Rather, it means 'any metallic parts inside the building which are not part of the electrical installation and which are 'liable to introduce a potential (generally earth potential'. In practice, that essentially boils down to metallic parts (mainly pipework) in electrical continuity with 'services entering the building' - otherwise it's very hard to see how it can 'introduce a potential'.

Also despite what the regs say, main bonding should always bridge any meter conected to metal pipes, so that if the meter is removed the pipes remain bonded.
That's where people start disagreeing. If the meter were removed there would theoretically be no need for bonding of the house-side pipework.

As I've said before, I was brought up with the adage that "if it's metal, earth it" (which would usually become 'bond it' in terms of the way we now think). However, it is apparent there are now some people who argue that 'unnecessary' connection of metalwork to earth can decrease, rather than increase, safety.

Kind Regards, John.

Also despite what the regs say, main bonding should always bridge any meter conected to metal pipes, so that if the meter is removed the pipes remain bonded.
Why do you/anyone think they do not? Just interested, not disagreeing.

Why do you/anyone think they do not? Just interested, not disagreeing.
I presume the point is that I think one would be hard pressed to find anything in the regs which actually says that. The attitude of the regs seems to be that so long as any conductor 'liable to introduce a potential' is bonded close to where it enters a property, then that's all that matters.

I think one of the complications of these discussions is that, by virtue of pumps, motorised valves, immersion heaters, showers etc., domestic pipework is usually in electrical continuity with exposed-conductive-parts (i.e.effectively becomes an extension of those exposed-conductive-parts) - which raises totally different issues from those relating to the main bonding of extraneous-conductive parts. In practice, this may sometime leave uncertainties as to whether a particular bit of G/Y (whatever it's called) should be 10mm² or 4mm² !

I'm inclined to the view that, once one excludes silly (e.g. door knobs) and/or contentious (e.g. metal baths) things, that adage of 'if it's metal, earth/bond it' is probably the common sense approach, certainly for domestic pipework, given the various uncertainties (present or future) which often exist.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back