Earth bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing quick-fit plastic pipe throughout my house for hot and cold water supply, and for the radiators. I am only using copper pipe for the radiator tails (about 20cm long), as they look nicer than plastic, and for the last 1 metre connection or so to the gas boiler, to be installed by a CORGI engineer.
Therefore, is there any need for me to have any earth bonding in bathrooms, for taps, showers or baths (plastic) etc, as if my pipes are plastic, doesn't this mean there is no risk?
There obviously needs to be bonding where the services come into the house for the gas and electric supply, not sure about the water here.
I do understand that earths need to be connected to create an equipotential pathway, but I can't see how a current would run through something that is effectively isolated.

Sponsored Links
Basically, I would say no (the OSG says "Supplementary bonding is not required to metal parts supplied by plastic pipes"), but it could depend on where the radiator tails go and if they, in any way, come into contact with anything that might connect them to earth or to another conductor.

See this
http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/NL139supp.pdf
for a bit more info

You would only need to bond them in a special loaction anyway. (bathroom, swim pool etc).

If the copper tails don't leave the bathroom, they do not require supp bonding if fed by plastic.

All the best hartly, sincerely

check your Part L re: room stat's, potential boiler location and flue route, before leaving tails for engineer to connect to.

oh to keep em sweet drop an air test on your install. most local corgi inspectors are now promoting the idea that no installation should be comm'd unless fully installed by comm'ing eng. as it has to be notified and comply with part. L et al.

To Quote CORGI'Q: I am a qualified plumber, and have been in the plumbing industry for years. I am, however, not registered with CORGI. Can I install a boiler and pipework and have a CORGI-registered installer connect the gas and commission the installation? A: NO! Many people are under the illusion that they can carry out this activity as it's being tested by a registered installer. The Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998, Reg. 2 (23) states: 'The definition of "work in relation to a gas fitting" lists specific activities covered by this term, but this list is not exclusive and other operations may also comprise "work". The definition is wide-ranging and includes activities that could affect, in any way, the safety of a gas fitting (whether new or existing, and whether or not it contains gas)'.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Particular thanks to Didthathurt.

I was enquiring generally about plumbing fittings such as taps connected to plastic pipe, not just radiator tails.

However, from your answers, it looks like I don't any plumbing fittings (except showers and other electrical items) as long as the metal parts are nowhere near any wiring that could come into contact with them.

Interestingly, it looks like a dedicated supplementary earth to the terminal in the fusebox is not required for showers etc, as the earth wire in light fittings can be used instead.

For the new plumbing, I may stop this well short of the boiler, so the plumber has plenty to do, but I can get my pipes going through any changed parts of the house such as walls and floors which a plumber won't hang around for 6 months whilst I do. I do have information about correct routings in joists and walls etc, so I'm making absolutely sure that it will be okay. Will do the air test first, to make sure I have not made any silly mistakes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back