Earth Clamp on TN-S

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just completed a c.u change and upgraded the undersized earth conductor . The clamp on the sheath was a standard BS951 earth clamp. Under the impression that if the supplier has provided this then it is ok. If not is there a suitable replacementt available. Z's were all ok but having an assessor look at the job. Just want everything spot on.
Any feedback appreciated.

Marcus

Sponsored Links
Was it provided by the supplier, or fitted by someone else at some point in the past?

if it was by supplier, its their responsibility. not yours.

I had the same at my place, but Ze was too high. After many phone calls the supplier did come and replace it, but based on my experience, if Ze is OK, they won't want to come out.

Sponsored Links
Don't know if it is suppliers or not. System not touched for years by look of it.
Just looks a bit naff to me. Maybe ring supplier but probably not interested as you mentioned.

Thanks for feedback guys.

I know Ban will back me up on this.

A BS951 earth clamp is NOT suitable for a main earth.
Contact the REC and insist they terminate this properly.
If they decline try telling them you are going to tighten the clamp to make sure its a really good earth and see how fast they change their mind.

Remember its all very well to point the finger at the REC but we are all responsible ultimately.

Qedelec said:
I know Ban will back me up on this.

A BS951 earth clamp is NOT suitable for a main earth.
That's why I wondered if it was the DNO's work, or some later miscreant's

Contact the REC and insist they terminate this properly.
If they decline try telling them you are going to tighten the clamp to make sure its a really good earth and see how fast they change their mind.
The chances of being able to say that to anyone who understands is very small. If you do decide to tighten it up, wear gauntlets and a full face welding mask, and have a fire extinguisher to hand...

seconded. But the people at the DNO are called that becasue they 'dunno' If you phone the number on the bill, you will find it very hard to pass the 'have a nice day' girls to reach anyone iwth enough technical savvy to appreciate what you are actually on about. Actually they do employ a few folk who understand electricity very well, but there are days when you wonder why they keep it so secret!
That said, unless the cable is super grotty, the clamp may well be fine for years. If you can , check Ze, and if it reads OK, and the clamp is more than finger tight, the best you can do is to note it on the certificates as non ideal and leave it alone..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back