earth loop impedance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a rural house with a Zs of 90ohms. How do I get this down to an acceptable level. The house has a Ze of 280 ohms with two earth rods in the ground. The supply to the house has been checked and has no faults.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Confused by this as Ze = Zs + (R1&R2) so your figures cannot add up. Please check and re-post so we can help.

Ze = Zs + (R1&R2)
no

Zs = Ze + (R1&R2)

Zs can be lower than Ze on a TT system if both quantities are measured
as Ze is measured with main equi potential bonding disconnected Zs will be measured with it connected and there could be a good earth on water supply.

The Ze for a TT for reliability should not exceed 200 ohms. This can be brought down a bit by adding more rods (need to be adequately spaced), a longer rod or using an additive in the ground. With a TT system as the general mass of earth is being used for the return path you will struggle to get the figure down to anywhere near a TN system hence the reason RCDs are required to used to provide protection against indirect contact.

Sponsored Links
What was I saying!! :oops: :oops: Never trust your brain after a nightshift. Thanks for pointing out my own stupidity!!

thankyou for your advice.
I do have rcd protected circuits but would still prefer to have lower eli readings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back