Earth Rods

Sponsored Links
No such thing. Part P is one sentence in the building regs not a certification scheme.

OK, I'll put the full request ....Building Control dept., has stated, and I quote "Can you please supply an Electrical installation certificate under part P."

That means "Can you please supply an Electrical installation certificate, which shows it is safe as required by part P of the building regulations."

Sponsored Links
Now I was unaware you needed an installation certificate for an earth rod? I know I have fitted earth rods where there was no low voltage power, we used batteries so extra low voltage, I think I should apply for planning permission for an aerial if permanent, but not the earth rod.

The installation certificate asks "External loop impedance, Ze(2) ........ " with a note "(2) by enquiry or by measurement)" and also
Details of Installation Earth Electrode (where applicable)
Type (e.g. rod(s), tape etc) ........................................................................................................
Location ...................................................................................................................................
Electrode resistance to Earth ...................
1658846428131.png
Now that's a problem when there is no supply,
1658846586292.png
this costs £246 and is not some thing electricians tend to keep in their tool box. Even when we used the kit for a few months, we hired it. And once the supply is connected you can use the loop impedance meter which most electricians have, OK the reading will be a bit higher than it should, as it combines your earth and DNO earth, but I think I would cheat, and enter some realistic figure until the supply is connected if the LABC is being funny about it, unlikely they will come and check, as unlikely they have the tester either.

The request for Electrical installation certificate under part P. is for the complete job .... garage & 32A circuit. My question here was just on the Earth rod portion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back