Earthing a light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first time poster with little/no knowledge so go easy!!
We've got some new chrome light switches which I've just gone to install. When I've removed the old one, however there's no earth seemingly. 3 red wires going into come, l1 and l2. There's 2 green wires in there too one which seem to 'end' in the top right of the box in the wall. I've attached a pic hopefully. How do I make sure that our switch is safe? I'm just concerned that there's seemingly no earth on the switch itself. Any advice please?

Attachments

• IMG_20151123_084211021.jpg
    IMG_20151123_084211021.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 282
Sponsored Links
You need to install a short length of wire (sleeved green&yellow) between the earth terminal on your metal switch, and the terminal on the backbox where the green wires connect.

EDIT Both of the green wires should be in that back box earth terminal.

If you have a spare bit of 3-core flex, you can strip out the earth conductor and use that as your earth connection to the front plate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back