Earthing a metal lightswitch front plate and metal backbox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People.

I am fitting a new metal lightswitch front plate and new metal back box.

I would appreciate a link to a diagram which is considered the best way to make the earth connections for the metal front plate and metal backbox.

Many thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
I am fitting a new metal lightswitch front plate and new metal back box. ... I would appreciate a link to a diagram which is considered the best way to make the earth connections for the metal front plate and metal backbox.
The preferred method is to take the cable(s)'s earth conductor (duly sleeved with G/Y) to the earth terminal on the switch plate, and then a suitable (again sleeved G/Y) link conductor from that terminal to the earth terminal of the backbox.

It can also be done the other way around (earth conductors to back box, then link wire from there to switch plate), but that is theoretically not quite as 'safe'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back