earthing downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I picked up a load of old downlights, some with earth connectors and all the lamp holdings, some without, some swivel and some dont etc etc, [lv and ulv respectively i guess re earthing)

anyhows seemed like a bargain at the time.

question is some places i want to stick em there is no earth wire presented , just some 2core flex coming from a ceiling rose somewhere in a seemingly inaccessible place, do all metal light fittings have 2b earthed to comply with regs? Should i rip a load of plaster to get at the rose?

Secondly, some of the ulv downlights seem to have a much better build quality and weightiness to them than the mains rated extreme cheapo downlights, and I'd like to use them with LEDs. If the answer to the previous question is a "yes", can i retrofit the ulvs to work as lv by drilling a hole in the casing and attaching an earth terminal?

b/

Sponsored Links
Can't really help as all downlights I've used have been double insulated (class 2) so obviously no earth terminal.
It's ELV (extra low voltage), not ULV.

If the downlights you have are class 1 then you will need to make sure a CPC is present.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back