Earthing in France

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A question about earth wiring in France: I am trying to bring the wiring more in line with regulations.
If there are a couple of adjacent outlets, e.g. for washer and dishwasher, which need their own mcb and wiring, do they each need an individual earth? The wiring is all conduit based: there is a live and neutral for each of the two outlets; should there be two earth wires run from the fusebox or can there be one connected to both outlets? Are the rules different if the L/N wires are run in the same or different conduits?
This has a bearing because of the limit to the number of wires in each conduit.
Thanks, I have tried to research this but not founmd an answer so far.

Sponsored Links
I don't think there' s anything in the regs preventing you from sharing the earth.

Is your problem with the conduit a physical one with the number of wires or the regulation about how many mm2 of wire you can have in different-sized conduit ?

I'm sure you can run the wires in whichever conduit you like: obviously need to label well to prevent later confusion.

Thanks, my issue is indeed the regulation about how many mm2 of wire you can have in different-sized conduit. That's 5 x 2.5mm in a 20mm rigid conduit which would mean only one complete L-N-E circuit, but there could be 2 circuits if the earth wire were shared.

I would like to follow regs as closely as possible, but am moving from such a poor situation (wrong colours, no earths, conduits jammed with wires, etc.) and am working to improve quality and safety, not make everything 100% compliant with latest regs.

Sponsored Links
I know this topic is over a year old, but it's an important one.

Your two separate appliance circuits must have their own earth - no sharing is allowed under NF C 15-100. To run both sets of 3 x 2,5mm² (i.e. 6 wires) in one conduit you need to use 25mm ICTA (the ribbed flexible stuff), or 20mm IRL (the smooth rigid stuff).

Any conduits must leave a minimum of two thirds of their capacity as free space. Even your plan to use 5 x 2,5mm² would not comply as they occupy 19,85mm² which x 3 = 59,55mm² which is more than the capacity of 20mm ICTA (it being 52mm²).

Back