French telephone wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing the telephone install in the new house we are building in France. this is a pic of the communications panel. As I understand it, France telecom will bring the cable to the DTI test box on the left, and I will go from there to the junction block on the right, and then to the individual RJ45s. My problem is this junction block. As the pic shows,(I hope), there are 12 strips of "wire pinch" connectors, each with 4 slots. I need at least 4 outputs. Do I bring in the twisted pair input and connect to the first 2 strips (one above the other), use the next 2 on each strip as outputs, then bridge to the strips to the right, and then connect my remaining outputs? Seems weird, but its the best I can come up with. And what about the earths? Each outgoing pair has 3 unused twisted pairs in its cable, and an earth. There is a little vertical "island"separating the banks of terminal strips. Is this where I earth everything? I hope this is understandable. Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I know the 'tableau de communication' where the services terminate is DIN-rail mounted, but I am amazed that you'd be permitted to put telecommunications wiring and 230V/400V wiring in the same enclosure!

Are you sure you're not required to have two separate panels and enclosures to keep the telecoms wiring separate from the mains stuff?

@ Solair

It is actually a requirement of the regs ( NFC15-100 ) ). Seems weird*, but since I hate them, I believe it is just another thing that Legrand :evil: forced through the standards committee to sell more of their overpriced products.

Don't believe however that anyone would object if another box were used as long as in was in the Technical Conduit (GTL ) and within max/min height parameters

* I did actually ask about why this was there and was told it is for the use of the electricity company and their engineers if they have a problem in the house !

Since these standards were introduced in 2002/3 that's really believable, isn't it ?

Sponsored Links
Greetings. Apologies for the long delay. I guess my pic was unclear: the communications box was just below the electricity panel, both being on the GTL. A neighbour “almost electrician” advised me that my comm. box was no longer approved. I probably could have argued that with a building permit dated 07 the older box was valid, but who needs an argument with the Consuel? I replaced the comm box with the current one, and the problems are gone. The new box contains the ADSL filter, and does all the distribution with RJ45 hardware. Thanks everyone. P.S. I got the consuel approval.(Huge grin).

Were you there when they did their checks ? How thorough were they ?

I just ask because I'm curious to know if their methods vary widely by location or if fairly standard.

Mine was :

1) Physically check continuity on one light circuit
2) Ditto plug circuit
3) Check wiring diagram for correct wire gauge, number of plugs/lights and circuits per norm requirements
4) Measure resistance at earth-spike.

Back