Earthing Of Table/Standard Lamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There does not seem to be many electrical postings this past couple of hours, Perhaps you are all in the pub eh? :p

Last year my partner bought a matching "Table Lamp" & "Standard Lamp" from a well know supermarket, Both of these lamps are made totally of metal (Excluding the bulbholder & shade) But their supply flexes are only "Two Core" (No cpc)

In my opinion the lamps metalwork is an "Exposed Conductive Part" And Should be earthed, The supply cable enters the lamps at the bottom, And goes through the metal tubing which forms the lamp structure, The cable is not protected against "Chaffing" (Has no grommets etc) where it enters the lamp :eek:

I think these lamps are not to standard, And should not be sold in a major UK store, But would very much value your opinions:cool:

If my opinion of these lamps is shared by most of you, Then I Will look into this matter more deeply, (ie Trading Standards Etc)

Sponsored Links
did the lamps have a square within a square symbol on the label?

Sponsored Links
I would bring them back to the shop, and ask for your money back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back