Earthing problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had an electrical inspection and they told me that the TN-S earthing was inadequate (external earth fault loop impedance of 2.59 Ohms). They said to ask EDF (I live in the London area) to install PME or if PME is not available to get a TT system installed by an electrical contractor. Getting PME installed seems simple but is starting to become a headache ... can you help advise?

I phoned EDF and they told me to phone Scottish Power (my supplier). The staff at Scottish Power had not heard of PME and asked me why I wanted a new meter (uh?) but agreed to book an engineer for me (actually I think they book EDF engineers in my area). I had to wait 3 weeks for an appointment. When the time came nobody showed-up - it turned out that the appointment arranged through Scottish Power had not reached EDF. Scottish Power phoned EDF again for me and the story came back that I would need a Cert+ certificate (what?) before they can do anything. I contacted the electrician who performed the inspection and he said he cannot issue a certificate as the earthing is inadequate (isn't that what I am trying to resolve?). So I phoned EDF (this time I phoned EDF Networks as opposed to the main customer number) and they told me that PME is available in my road (huraah!) and I have to do the following:

1. Ensure cross-bonding is installed to PME specification (they didn't mention any certificate).
2. Contact my elec supplier (Scottish Power) and ask them to perform a reconnect and test (presumably this means SP booking an appointment with EDF again).
3. The person doing the reconnect and test will contact EDF Networks if further work is required. (does that mean yet another appointment?). Also my meter has been replaced in the past year so presumably they would have done a 'reconnect and test' before - how does a 'reconnect and test' result in PME being installed?

I questioned the person from EDF giving me these instructions as they do not appear to include the act of installing PME (I am not an electrician but presumably somebody has to do some re-wiring at or near the main switch?). EDF insisted this is the process.

I just want to get a simple job done to improve safety but the electricity supply industry has thrown up a wall of bureacracy and I cannot identify someone who will simply come and do the job - it seems I have to project manage an exercise involving at least 3 parties - an electrician, Scottish Power and EDF and I still have no idea whether this will result in what I want (PME).

Can someone who has done this, please advise what I need to do to get PME installed - who needs to do it and what are the pre-requisites?

Failing that, can someone please advise about TT - I read the earth impedance can be up to 100 Ohms so what is the advantage over TN-S running at 2.6 Ohms. How much does a TT system cost to have installed? Won't I get the same level of safety from simply installing a 100MA Time Delay RCD at the main switch (I already have a split load consumer unit with 30MA RCD for the ring main) and sticking with TN-S?

Sponsored Links
The main pre-requisite is that your main bonding must be up to appropriate standards for PME. For domestic supplies that means it must be done with at least 10mm earth cable.

presumablly when the guy comes out to do the "recconect and test" they will discover that the TN-S earth is unacceptable and either fix it or change the system to PME.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back