Isolator install procedure question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My supplier - EDF Energy - are installing an isolator for me next month. When booking the appointment, the agent informed me that following the work, I will need to arrange my own electrician to connect the CU to their isolator.

Is this accurate information? I assumed their engineer would simply disconnect the existing meter tails, install the isolator and then reconnect the CU to the output side of the isolator.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like they don't want to be held to account for anything that could go wrong, not that anything should as all it is is proving a means of isolation.

Thanks both, I figured it was a liability thing and not wanting to bear any responsibility for any subsequent internal faults. At least they are fitting it FOC.

Sponsored Links
I suggest, given EDF area is down south, that this is another reaction to the London fire bridgades observation that they were responding to lots of consumer unit fires, that also lead to the move to metal CUs.

With modern cage clamp terminals, if the tails are terminated, and then wiggled, the cores will settle and the terminal will be loose again, getting on for 8-10 years ago, there was quite a lot of consumer unit fires, and it transpired that it was a combination of factors; due to the approval bodies trying to make proffit out of part P of the building regs and approving folk with basical quals and a quick assessment, a lot of inexpierienced installers were now changing consumer units, and not ensuring terminals were properly tight, and about the same time, manufacturers had been reducing fire retardants into the plastic of boards due to the REACH regulations, and then came the start of the smart meter roll out, and the meter fixers would have to move the tails about to fit the meter, potentailly loosing the connections if they were not tight to start with.

I imagine that in the case of a meter swap, they can probably come up with work arounds to fix the tails from moving too much, but not in the case of fitting an additional piece of equipment, movement has got to happen, so they perfer to play it safe and tell you you need to get someone else to reconnect tails

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back