Consumer unit isolation switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am i correct in saying the energy supplier would normally fit the isolators that sit between the CU and the meter.

I'm asking as i just received a letter from my supplier informing me that they are going to install a new smart meter.

I'm guessing they won't put an isolator in as part of the job but it would be handy to have one in place for the future. I will ask when i book the appointment, just thought I'd check on here 1st

Sponsored Links
They probably will not fit one but if you buy one they may fit it for you.

Why do you want a smart meter? You are allowed to refuse one.

The letter suggested it needs be updated, and then proceed to inform of all the benefits ie no more meter readings and apparently it will help me to save energy.

I not particularly fussed about having a smart meter. I thought i was a government thing.

Are you not a fan of them

It may need updating, but you don't have to have a smart meter installed.

You will be fussed about them if you start to suffer the downsides.

This is the most recent discussion of them (there are others), and the idea that they only save energy for people to whom the idea of not wasting it has never occurred.

Sponsored Links
Am i correct in saying the energy supplier would normally fit the isolators that sit between the CU and the meter.

No. But you could ask them to and they may or may not for a fee, alternatively employ an electrician to install one at the the time the new meter is to be fitted.

My views on smart meters are, "that I would not have one in my house!"

Hmm. I think i will read up on the smart meters and do a bit more research.

my current one is a smart type provided by eon. It was there when i moved in, but I've never plugged in the wireless display.

Ah. I don't know for certain but if you already have a smart meter, and it is just being replaced, then I suspect you may not be able to revert.

My smart meter has saved me so much energy. It used to take loads of energy to get out of my chair and read the old meter every month, no such problem now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back