Old consumer unit - no rcd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a bit worried that there is no rcd proptection at home (except the shower unit)

There is also no isolator between the meter and consumer unit if I wanted someone to change it in future.

Is it therefore sensible to get an isolator/rcd fitted on the tails between the meter and consumer unit?

Would the local electricity supplier be the best people to fit this?

I'm not bothered if everything goes off if the rcd trips.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Most older buildings don't have an RCD fitted nor an isolator .You electricity people are the guys to talk to about an isolator

Isolators are useless, since by the time the CU is next changed, the isolator will also require changing. Also something else to go wrong.

A single RCD for the whole installation does not comply with BS7671, so is NOT something you want. You might not be bothered now, but you may reconsider when a fault on one circuit means you have no power to your whole house for the hours/days it takes to identify the fault and repair it.

Who says the isolator will need changing when th CU needs changing? Is there a Regulation which stipulates that a mains isolator must be changed whenever the consumer unit is replaced? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
No, but if the CU is old enough to warrant changing, then the isolator will be the same age, and therefor require replacement too.

They are completely pointless.

There are reasons to replace a CU or add a second one other than the CU being so old it's direclty unsafe. Such as new types of protective devices that old CUs can't accomodate, parts no longer availible and running out of ways.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back