Dual RCD consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Retired Maintenance Electrician. Replaced faulty consumer unit with dual RCD (30ma) type. Split circuits between upstairs and downstairs. Needed to run a supply into garage so used 1 x 32 amp breaker (protected by RCD as they all are) and wired this into an MK 2 x way Sentry garage unit which is governed by 30 ma RCD. Tried lights and RCD tripped, likewise sockets. This was linked to mixed neutrals in the RCD. Rewired Senty unit in garage direct to mains in Consumer Unit and everything is working. Does this conform to latest regulations. Polarity and earthing are all correct.

Sponsored Links
My first question is as an electrician, retired or not, WTF are you asking if what you did complies with the regulations after you've done it?

You should have known to find out what the requirements were beforehand.

As for whether it complies - probably not for the following reasons:

1) You were so careless in your work that you didn't notice you'd used the wrong neutral bar.

2) It's unlikely that you could have safely got an extra set of conductors into the CU incomer, and even less likely that the manufacturer permits such a thing.

3) Your idea of testing is to switch on and see what happens.

If I am reading you post correct you have connected the garage with a Henley Block
double-pole-100a-henley-block_1509_1_medium.jpg
which is OK if the cable is rated at 100A at least 16mm sq or under 3 meters and unlikely to be damaged can't see latter being valid. But although one can get expanders which allow thicker than normal cables into the main switch one is unlikely to get the covers on when these are used. Plus it is a mod to a type tested distribution box.

I have questioned the rules as to electricians homes as since we are we hope skilled, then we could if going by the letter of the regs have cables buried in a wall for example without RCD protection. However I personally think our houses should be wired so they can be sold to an ordinary person without the need to be modified.

But question is "Does this conform to latest regulations" and to conform you will need to before changing the consumer unit have informed the LABC what you were going to do. Then on completion submitted the installation certificate with all the readings for their approval. They can check or they can believe your figures. And if they are satisfied they will issue a completion certificate. So to comply you must have that completion certificate.

I will admit that the council do from time to time issue the completion certificate when the work is sub-standard but in the main they will want to see all work complying with BS7671:2008. And also I will expect to a standard where an ordinary person could be the house holder.

Although it should not be the case I have seen many a Maintenance Electrician who main concern was it worked. And paperwork was lacking until a visit from HSE was expected. Often the employer was more interested in the Maintenance Electricians ability to write and alter PLC programs than complying with regulations. This is slowly changing but still one finds Maintenance Electricians who think C&G 2382 is only for house bashers. And C&G 2391 is for the electrical engineer and electricians don't need it. It was the year 2000 before my firm got their first earth loop impedance tester and that was only because of a HSE visit.

But other than RCD use if one follows even the 16th Edition one will not be far wrong.

to conform you will need to before changing the consumer unit have informed the LABC what you were going to do. Then on completion submitted the installation certificate with all the readings for their approval. They can check or they can believe your figures. And if they are satisfied they will issue a completion certificate. So to comply you must have that completion certificate.

fairmind147

uk.gif

United Kingdom

;)

Sponsored Links
Ban,
who is/was Schiller? Is he a mate of Schrödinger and his cat?

Ah yes, that Schiller. I saw his statue in Mainz a few weeks ago.
To save anyone else the trouble, the quote translates as "Against stupidity the gods themselves fight in vain".
Agreed BAS!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back