RCD CONSUMER UNIT

K

kai

I've seen 30MA RCD main incomer consumer units on sale, where the 30MA RCD controls the whole board, as having one RCD on the whole system violates the latest regs, then what purpose will such units still have?

Sponsored Links
Anticipate the next revision of the regs requiring an RCD to protect the whole system?

I might be completely wrong here (and no doubt will have to suffer the slings and arrows....etc), but aren't these easily converted to split load units? Remove the neutral bar jumper, split the bus bar, and away you go.

Wouldn't it also be allowable to have a CU dedicated to ground floor outlets, with another dealing with lighting, CH, etc? Would need a Henley block upstream of such a configuration, and it might not be 'standard'.

Or you could stick it in the Shed or Garage for local protection?

Or do you have something far more specific in mind?

Sponsored Links
kai said:
I've seen 30MA RCD main incomer consumer units on sale, where the 30MA RCD controls the whole board, as having one RCD on the whole system violates the latest regs, then what purpose will such units still have?

What regulation is being violated?

The one that refers to "Minimise inconvenience in event of an earth fault etc" as well as what is considered standard practice nowadays.

Anyway it would not be sensible anymore to put the Freezer and Lights on the same RCD as the garden socket etc... get what I mean?

Makes a nice replacement for that big black cast iron jobbie doing sockets for the whole house.

Reg 314. I don't believe that is a new regulation and in any case it does not prohibit the use of a single RCD to cover the installation. Not so long ago, having an RCD main switch was accepted practice.

Having said that, the requirement of 314-01-01 (i) to "avoid danger and minimize inconvenience in the event of a fault" does allow you to make the judgement that such an arrangement may cause inconvenience. And 314-01-02 directs you to take due account of the consequences of the operation of a single protective device.

Having said that though, I see many installations with a single 30mA RCD as a main switch (mine included) whcih cause no inconvenience at all. Mine has never tripped in the four years I have been at this address (and, yes, I have tested it! :LOL: ) (The only inconvenience to me has been installing a dedicated non-RCD socket expressly to test my test equipment!)

The Non-Rcd socket is ideal for the Freezer though! - Two Jobs for the Price of One! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: [/quote]

Here's a perfectly legit way to use a CU with RCD incomer:

On the end of an SWA feed to a garage.

kai said:
The Non-Rcd socket is ideal for the Freezer though! - Two Jobs for the Price of One! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Yeah... now, if I can just get this freezer onto my workbench... ( :confused: sigh...)

A single-bus board with a main RCD is pretty much the norm in my area for an upgraded installation. 90% of the houses are on TT systems, thus necessitating the use of RCD protection for all circuits: Most people seem to have been very reluctant to go for split-bus boards and two RCDs.

I hope they fall down the stairs and hurt themselves when the lights go out because of a fault on a socket circuit. Stupid penny-pinching short-sighted fools.

I am a
Stupid penny-pinching short-sighted fool.

I have inherited a board with an RCD incomer. However, I intend to change it to a De-Luxe "Ban-O-Matic" brand Split-load unit, but have difficulty getting a round tuit.

If Ban could let me know how much the trade price is for one of his excellent creations, I shall purchase one this instant!

PS I have not fallen down the stairs yet, but have trodden on an upturned 13A plug in naked feet.....OW! Nearly as painful as kneeling on gripper-rod...

securespark said:
I am a
Stupid penny-pinching short-sighted fool.

I have inherited a board with an RCD incomer. However, I intend to change it to a De-Luxe "Ban-O-Matic" brand Split-load unit, but have difficulty getting a round tuit.
Inheriting is different from choosing...

If Ban could let me know how much the trade price is for one of his excellent creations, I shall purchase one this instant!
£1035.17 + VAT

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back