Consumer units with RCD main switch.

K

kai

Has anyone noticed that 30mA RCD Mainswitch consumer units are still on sale?
I am surprised, as the Regs do not permit a single RCD main switch in a CU (With the notable exception of a 2way Shower/Fan consumer unit etc).
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
So are main switch units and 16th split boards.

Given that manufacturers seem to be getting away with producing split boards updated for the 17th and are accepted as being compliant by many, all these can all be used under the current regs.

MS boards can carry RCBO's for circuits needing RCD protection. For those that do not, they can carry MCB's.

16th boards can have a similar mix of protective devices.

EDIT: I agree with Rob. I don't personally think they comply, but they have been accepted by many as compliant.

You'll love the board I'm putting in at my brothers when I finally get round to finishing rewiring it.

More MCBs than RBCOs :D

Sponsored Links
it depends on the installation..
I've put 30mA RCD boards in small offices where it's a submain, for lights, cleaners ring and the toilets..
the lighting was grid fluorescents with EM backup in the ones by the doors and over the "escape route"..
these still comply..

It is common enough for two RCD boards to be used instead of a dual split load- especially in larger houses. Not as good a solution as using RCBOs, but much cheaper.

They have never complied with BS7671 as far as I'm concerned.

Are you saying a CU needs a main switch and an RCD even though all circuits are on the RCD?

Some brand new flats here don't have the MS just RCD and a few MCB's in about 10 or 12 way board.
It wouldn't surprise me if they have cut corners, they seem to have everywhere else in the properties.

An RCD can be used as a main switch, you don't need a separate switch as well.

They don't comply if they are the only board for an installation because there is a single point of failure - any fault on any circuit will cause the entire installation to be switched off. If it's a N-E fault, it also means the whole lot stays off until someone can locate and repair the fault.

The properly compliant option is RCBOs for all circuits (or MCBs with no RCD provided other criteria are met).
For example double pole RCBOs or double pole MCBs in a MEM metal clad type A board, with all of the cabling in MICC.
No one will have any of that though due to the very large cost of it.

They are available as they have more uses than just domestic.
I might wish to install a Socket Distribution board in a commercial environment and could use one for that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back