two rcd's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 6 x consumer unit which is unprotected. I also have an old outdoor supply which has a 40a 30ma rcd.
I would like to know if I could add another 40a 30ma rcd to the feed to the consumer unit? (which I have from an old shower feed long removed)

Is that acceptable practice

Sponsored Links
no but testing it (with a tester) and then fitting it would be acceptable.

40A is not big enough to supply a comsumer unit, and it would leave you with a single point of failure which is not allowed.

Sponsored Links
OK then, depending on th rating of your cutout, it is highly likely that 40A is not big enough.

My other point still stands

You'll be better off with RCBOs on a 6 way board (if your board is not an old Wylex one). Either that, or you will have to buy and fit a dual split load RCD board which will cost not quite as much, but will be much more difficult to fit than just changing the breakers.

You will also need to test the whole installation, provide a test certificate, and submit the work to building control.

40A is not big enough to supply a comsumer unit, and it would leave you with a single point of failure which is not allowed.

I don't think a supply to a shed would be necessarily reliant on a single point of failure potential. It's not like I've got my granny stuffed in there

On the rating I agree a 63a would be more of the norm ..

I thought you were attempting to RCD protect your existing CU with one RCD which you have spare.

If this is not the case then can you tell us what it is you are actually planning to do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back