No RCD/Isolator to main consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just discovered that there is no isolator to the main consumer unit (i.e. next to their meter).

The consumer unit has an isolator but no RCD.

The house is 19 years old and the builder went bust when the property was handed over.

I know it is my responsibility for the consumer unit but who is responsible for the isolator at the meter.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There is no requirement for a seperate isolator between the meter and the CU, it's just a "nice to have" convenience when working on the installation.

The DP switch in the CU meets the requirement for a single point of isolation for the installation.

RCDs were not often installed 19 years ago, but as BAS says it is a good idea to have one installed.

Personally I don't like additional main switches installed before the CU. It is just another (IMO unnessacary) joint waiting to fail

Sponsored Links
Makes replacing/adding CUs etc a lot easier.

And doesn't it become a requirement if you do split the tails to supply a 2nd CU, or a switchfuse etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back