isolator for consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, id like to have a new consumer unit fitted , but i think i need an isolator upstream of the consumer unit(outside next to meter i think??) so the consumer unit can made safe. Is this right?. There is currently a 80amp fuse , but im thinking this cant be the actual isolator?. If i need one, do i approach the organisation that takes care of the wiring inside the meter box. i.e. in my case 'western power' ??

any comments greatly welcomed.

Mike

Sponsored Links
The fuse is the isolator. Intended for use only by the DNO (Western Power) or other authorised persons such as meter installers.

If you want a separate 2 pole isolator switch, it's most likely your energy supplier who would do it, as it's installed after the meter.
They may charge for it, or some may fit one for free if changing the meter.

They are mostly unnecessary.

i see.. would a qualified electrician be considered an 'authorised person' to carry out the work do you think?

You'd have to call in Western Power to remove the fuse while it was being done.

Sponsored Links
i see.. would a qualified electrician be considered an 'authorised person' to carry out the work do you think?

All the qualified electricians I have used had no problem fitting a new CU and isolating the supply.

Blup

@mikeF00 theoretically you are correct. In reality 99% of electricians will pull the fuse themselves and get on with the job. Just make sure either you or the electrician call the DNO or supplier after the job and get the cut out re sealed.

I was once stopped for doing 120 on the A9, but I explained to the officer I had only been driving for nine minutes, and was not aware I was on the road, or even in a car, and didn't know there was a speed limit, so didn't consider myself guilty.

All of the people I know exceed the speed limit on a motorway, it doesn’t make it right though.

Does it make it unsafe though for a time served electrician to do it? What skills experience or equipment does a sparky not have, that the electric company does?

Blup

The required PPE for starters
I presume that it is true that 'electricity company personnel do have access to such equipment, but I have to say that I have personally never seen anyone using any of it when pulling a fuse from a plastic cutout.

Kind Regards, John

We issue flash visor, gauntlets, leather apron to all our meter fritters and require they use them. They never do. We get 1-2 injuries a year from arcs. Usually the cut out falling apart apparently.

We issue flash visor, gauntlets, leather apron to all our meter fritters and require they use them. They never do.
As I said, I don't doubt that the PPE 'is available to them', and the rest of what you say is consistent with what I have personally always seen them doing (or not doing).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back