S Electric, EDF...what are their policies??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ello felllow spaarkans!!!
has anyone currently living or working in Berkshire recently requested either of the following Electricity Suppliers, Southern Electric or EDF to install a DP Isolator Switch between meter and CU?? If so, what was the outcome? (charges, time taken to book an engineer in? etc etc)
Also, if the isolator switch is removed from the equation, does the DNO generally charge to, Isolate the supply by means of breaking the seal and removing the main fuse, and then re-connect once remedial works are complete??

Sponsored Links
I never have this problem as every main fuse that I see has no seal on it ;) also I have a mate who supplies me with plastic seals so that I can temporarily reseal meters and main fuses, give him a call, then he comes and puts a proper lead seal on.
Job's a gudun and all runs along nice and smoothly

Fraid not,

I know about 3 guys that cover my region which is unfortunately not West Yorkshire.

Sponsored Links
nozspark said:
Fraid not,

I know about 3 guys that cover my region which is unfortunately not West Yorkshire.

Reading/Slough?

Is this method of operation legal???

In our area you can phone the DNO and get permission to remove the seals and arrange for re-sealing. The method that I use just misses out one phone call and leaves the main fuse and meter sealed at the end of the day.

What would you rather, just leave it unsealed as most guys would??

You're just jealous ;)

Persoanlly, I hate S Electric!! Every time I speak to them my blood pressure rises!!!
Better start preparing for the phone call tmrw then..
Wish I knew a couple of 're-seal' geezers in my area!!

Just make sure that you are ther when they call and bitch to them about all the bother you are having to go through to got this done, then ask them if they know of an easier way??

One of the reasons that the guy's in my area do this is because they can do the job when passing rather than have it booked in as a job by their operations desk, which could mean extra travelling!

Also, ask them outright for their work number so that you can call them direct if you have any queries!!

A temporary seal can be made using the wire and a crimp ferrule

The customer doesn't know it isn't an "official" seal and it is enough to prevent them tampering.

Just an update for those that are concerned...

Southern Region (Berkshire)
EDF - DO NOT send out engineers for installs of Isolation Switches. They will charge £55 for an engineer to pop over in the morning, remove the seal and disconnect the supply, and then return the same evening to re-connect and test.

Southern Electric - also, DO NOT send out engineers for Isolation Switches. Its a case of get it done yourself you tw*t!!!!
However, they will come out for free and do a test on the incoming supply upon re-connection.

see, this is one thing i don't understand about southern electric, they always seem to send me around the bend!!
the rep on the phone told me any suitably qualified spark can remove and replace the seal, and doesn't have to be carried out by one of their own engineers. She also stated that the meter reading guys carry the necessary equipment in order to carry out these so called, 're-connection tests'. Well, i then bumped into a meter reader, employed by Southern Electric and when questioning him about an isolation switch, i was told it would cost approx £1000 to install one through them!! He obv didn't have a clue!!
I then asked him specifically about the seal on the fuse, and whether he could re-seal after works on a CU. Yup you guessed it, "Sorry mate, all I do is read numbers!!".

meter management is usually outsourced, it may be the same company (but different people) who read the meters and install new ones.

JohnD said:
meter management is usually outsourced, it may be the same company (but different people) who read the meters and install new ones.

Yup, sure can be John but this guy was employed direct through southern electric. Nevertheless, why can't they just provide the right information right from the start!! Dammm, its like calling one of those BT call centres in Delhi sometimes!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back