WOW! - Mandy at Npower

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Perhaps if I share my experience I might start to come down from the state of disbelief I'm in and comprehend what happened today...

Spent about a couple of hours of sheer, utter pain on the phone to EDF this morning trying to discuss a main fuse upgrade. Felt literally bruised from being bounced around so many departments and knocking my own head against brick walls. Among other useful information, I was assured I definately was not allowed to be doing the rewire I'm doing because the NICEIC says so etc etc etc. Eventually somebody agreed to send me a form that it sounds like I'll have to fiddle to add up to 20kW or so to get me 100A fuse, and get a letter from the LABC to authorise the work or something.

Anyway, from what I've read here about suppliers I expected to enjoy a similar experience with Npower this afternoon begging for an isolator. Picture my surprise then, when in only two options and about three rings I spoke to a real person who straight away gave me a number for Service Alterations. This number was answered straight away by another real person, who within 5 minutes had arranged for me to have a meter tails upgrade, meter upgrade and an isolator fitted. All free of charge. No questions asked other than "would that be 100A, sir?". Her name was Mandy and she was awesome! She... just... knew how to do her job. Had... actual... knowledge of the subjects she was discussing. Was... ... nice

As I say - I'm still amazed. Anybody else had a pleasurable experience talking to a DNO or supplier? Surely not?

Liam

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't have wasted my time.

I hate pointless isolators in the tails and see little point (in 99% of domestics) in upgrading the supply fuse to 100amp.

Sponsored Links
Hello Liam,

Do you know if npower will do the work directly or will subcontract?

Also do you happen to know if the number you rang is valid for NW customers or just available for those in your area?

many thanks

I dunno - I think I'll be grateful of my isolator. CU will soon be swapped, and I have discovered that my DNO are a useless bunch of muppets whose collective efforts are highly unlikely to accomplish arranging anything as complicated as a visit to pull the main fuse out and pop it back in again shortly afterwards. This way I dont need to bother them and I don't have to rely on the seal faries either.

As for the 100A main fuse - if I can ever get EDF to fit one, why not futureproof myself a little while all this work is being done? I've probably got a reasonable chance of worrying the existing 60A already, when my partner is playing in the kitchen with the elctric ovens and I'm in the garage playing with electric heating and welding equipment etc etc.

Liam

I hate pointless isolators in the tails and see little point (in 99% of domestics) in upgrading the supply fuse to 100amp.
100A fuse maybe.

But do you enjoy working live when changing CUs, and never being able to provide someone a 2nd CU, or a switchfuse for the shed supply etc?

There are ways and means.

If I had to organise or wait for a customer to organise a poxy isolator everytime I wanted to do any work envolving the tails I would never get any work done!

Perhaps I am lucky in my area. WPD used to allow us snip and do the work aslong as we faxed them a blank completion certificiate with just the address on. They would then seal when they could. As for changing tails, we henley to the old, leaving the henleys unfixed to the wall, and the DNO would attend and connect. Same deal for earthing. £18 to provide the earth and £25 to connect tails too.

EDF have now taken over the metering side in our area, and they so far are working in the same manor. I am not saying they will be this co-operative with all users, but certainly are with the majority of the companies in our area.

I have spoken to Mandy as well, Mandy also does charity work in her coffee break

npower_macmillan_support.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back