Does the sticker on the main fuse carrier relate to what's installed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm looking at potentially getting an air source heat pump installed and was advised to get my main fuse upgraded to 100A. Which seems excessive figured I may as well get it done regardless of whether I go ahead with the hear pump.

I've spoken with UK Power Networks who claim the meter tails look like they are too small from the photo I supplied them, which I've attached here. They then mentioned the sticker that says 100A and said it might already have a 100A fuse but seemed quite vague on that. So before I get my energy supplier to change the meter tails, does anyone know if the sticker refers to the capacity of the fuse holder or the actual fuse that's installed?

PXL_20220509_172634681.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks. That's what I suspected, I guess making it obvious what size is installed would be far too simple!

The manufacturer of the fuse carrier applies a sticker indicating the ratings/type of the fuse carrier.

Sometimes the installers add an extra sticker indicating what fuse is fitted, but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Sponsored Links
was advised to get my main fuse upgraded to 100A.
By who?

Whether a 100A fuse is required depends on the total expected demand. The presence of an ASHP will be part of that, but it's not an automatic thing that installing an ASHP requires a 100A fuse.
All depends on what else is installed.

As they say: "Other stickers are available."
Indeed they are - like the ones which I live with, and illustrated :)

... which is, of course, the reason why one can't confidently make generic statements about 'stickers' (although I realise yours was not intended to be 'generic').

Kind Regards, John

For goodness' sake John,

The type of sticker in the OP's picture only ever means what I said it means.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back