60A main fuse 100A breaker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was looking at getting the shed wired up...yes I know old topic lol anyway I notice that the main incoming fuse before the meter is 60A but the main breaker in the CU is 100A.

I'm not too hot on discrimination calcs (I'm and electrician but don't do installation work) but I'm guessing that this is wrong?

[Edit] or is the breaker OK because downstream (inside the CU) can take 100A and the incoming cable is protected by the 60a fuse which is OK? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The main switch is just that... just a switch, not a breaker, so forget all about discrimination ;)

As long as the switch is equal to or greater than the rating of the company fuse, then jobs a carrot :) (though its unusal to fit a board with a switch of less than 100A these days*, remember also that the DNO might upgrade their fuse)

*though one buget make sells cheap 12 way boards with 80A main switches :evil:

The main breaker as you refer is most likely only an isolator switch, the rating of the contacts in it are rated at 100A. It will not switch off it you exceed 100A.

Sponsored Links
give the electricity company a call, tell them you only got a 60 amp cut-out fuse and they will upgrade it for you free of charge.

Just a quick one, in the middle of a job, an outside light on it's own circuit...problem is that the main incoming fuse is 100amp and the fuse board is an old wylex 3036 rated at 60 amp, maximum demand to be 70A, advised customer to replace board and tails, but has refused.

Should I carry on with the work and write my findings on cert or stop work and cut my loses?

Some people would do the cert and make a note to cover their backs, however I personally would stop work and insist on an upgrade, as those wylex units are not at all tolerant with any excess load whatsoever, they do start to melt quite easily.

Last thing you want is a fire on your hands.

Just a quick one, in the middle of a job, an outside light on it's own circuit...problem is that the main incoming fuse is 100amp and the fuse board is an old wylex 3036 rated at 60 amp, maximum demand to be 70A, advised customer to replace board and tails, but has refused.

Should I carry on with the work and write my findings on cert or stop work and cut my loses?

70A, have you applied any diversity factors?

If it is maxed out then explain to the customer that you can't continue and will charge them for the work done so far and leave the installation in a safe condition.

Yep - used to work for the electricity board, they will happily upgrade at customers request.

If you are adding to a circuit on a board which is already overloaded then I'd imagine you'd be falling foul of regulation 130-07-01:

"No addition or alteration, temporary or permanent, shall be made to an existing installation, unless it has been ascertained that the rating and the condition of any existing equipment, including that of the distributor, which will have to carry any additional load is adequate for the altered circumstances and the earthing and bonding arrangements are also adequate."

Btw, how do you know the supply is 100A?

removed intake fuse and looked....
I know you shouldn't but you need to know for when filling out an EIC anyway..and leccy board aren't helpful...
Seen quite a few intakes saying on fuse holder 100A when 60A insde and vice versa.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back