Upgrading 60A main fuse to 100A

It's just that for longer than 3m, the DNO stipulate a fuse switch
Not in this case:

upload_2018-11-28_0-42-54.png

unless the CU was moved several m after that was installed....

Sponsored Links
It seems to me that this 3 metre “requirement” is of much greater importance to the burghers of this forum, than to the DNO!

Sponsored Links
they wouldn't have measured the length of the tails though would they??!!!
Probably not literally, although they would probably have noticed if the distance from meter to CU was 'unusually long'.

Having said that, I don't think a DNO (or supplier) would normally fit a switch-fuse, even if/when they deemed one to be necessary - that being a job for the consumer's electrician. It could be that they fitted that isolator to facilitate that, informing the consumer that he ';should' have a switch-fuse installed immediately downstream of the isolator.

Kind Regards, John

No but as TTC said "It seems to me that this 3 metre “requirement” is of much greater importance to the burghers of this forum, than to the DNO!" perhaps it's just another myth because of someone misreading 434.

Mmmm. Somewhat restricting for flats.

No mention of any exceptions nor the requirement for a switch fuse.

That refers to new installations but I don't see that being any less restricting.

No but as TTC said "It seems to me that this 3 metre “requirement” is of much greater importance to the burghers of this forum, than to the DNO!" perhaps it's just another myth because of someone misreading 434.
It's certainly not (or, at least, was not in the past) a complete myth since, over the years, I have seen several instances of a supply (cutout) and meter being moved (during refurbishments) such that the meter-CU distance was quite long, with the DNO saying that they would not connect the moved supply until an electrician had installed a switch fuse.

Kind Regards, John

So, they do refer to BS7671, possibly misinterpreting 434, which governs the consumer's tails - or they make up their own rules and demand a fuse even if it's the same rating as their own for some unknown reason.

So, they do refer to BS7671, possibly misinterpreting 434, which governs the consumer's tails ...
I can't say that I can recall them ever having cited BS7671, or any other regulations, as the reason ...
- or they make up their own rules and demand a fuse even if it's the same rating as their own for some unknown reason.
I suppose it could be real rules/regulations, rather than ones they had "made up". However, as you say, it seems to become particularly odd/pointless if (as I think is commonly the case) the fuse in the switch-fuse is of the same rating as the cutout fuse.

Kind Regards, John

Which bit of 434 do you think can be misread to create a 3m limit?

How challenged would someone have to be to not spot that that limit is in the context of a reduction in conductor size?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back