Upgrading 60A main fuse to 100A

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new house, built 2001. Old house had a 100A fuse, whereas this has a rather weedy 60A.

I will be having the consumer unit upgraded to modern standards soon, and wondered how difficult it would be to have Northern Electric upgrade the 60A fuse?

Would the 16mm meter tails also need upgrading? Is that the wiring from the meter box to the consumer unit (which must be about 10m away)?

Photo of current meter box attached.

Photo 25-11-2018, 21 04 32.jpg

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
No I have an, ahem, need for some high powered lamps in the loft :)

Only messing, want to put in an electric shower, something of decent power (9-10.5kW), but also have a 7.2kW electric car charger to wire up. Don't want a situation where someone's in the shower, the car's on charge and someone puts the kettle on for a coffee and the 60A fuse lets go.

The only people who can answer this question is your DNO - Northern Electric?
Go on their website and look for the supply upgrade/alterations online form.
They will need to determine if the feed network can support your estimated new maximum current.

Mind you, there are thousands of houses with bigger laods than you anticipate, running off a 60A main fuse.

Sponsored Links
Will do.

Regarding the load, am I wrong in thinking 17.5kW equates to about 76A?

Your maths is correct. But you’ll very rarely be running at that load. And (I Don’t have the tables with me) a 60A fuse will hold for several hours with a load of 76A.

It's not good to have tails running 10m.

3m is the rule of thumb

Don't cars charge at night ?

I have 2.1 amp USB charging sockets, I also have a voltage + current monitor, it is rare it ever hit max, only apple gear gets near the max, and then soon drops again.

Same with car charger, it may peak, but unlikely to continue at that rate, I would not expect it to blow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back