main fuse size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just moved house and i notice the main fuse is 100a, the rcd type main switch is 60a. does this mean the fuse is too big if the main switch is rated so much less? will the electricity company change this or would i employ an electrcian?

Sponsored Links
Its your equipment, so it is upto you to get an electrician to replace it, though two points

1) what sort of load do you have downstream of it? (big electric shower, cooker? lots of appliances... wylex 60A standard range boards on 100A fuses don't actually tend to cause problems because generally things arn't running at the limit limit, if it was popping a 60A fuse every week before it was upgraded to 100A that would be a problem for example. Its not really a good situation, but it doesn't mean its going to explode tommorow, it would be a pir code 2 IMHO unless it looked to be heavily loaded

2) Are you actually sure its a 100a fuse, just because the carrier says 100A on, doesn't perclude the possibility that the fuse link inside is smaller (there is no easy way to find out, just bear in mind, that it might not neccesalily be 100A)

Just to clarify, the main fuse is in the domain of your DNO.

You cannot change it. However, you can change the RCD.

Adam_151 said:
(there is no easy way to find out, just bear in mind, that it might not neccesalily be 100A)
well, the easy way is to cut the seals and pull it out. But this is neither safe nor legal ;) and is not advisable to someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
Adam_151 said:
(there is no easy way to find out, just bear in mind, that it might not neccesalily be 100A)
well, the easy way is to cut the seals and pull it out. But this is neither safe nor legal ;) and is not advisable to someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

No easy legal way then... what I meant ;) , may as well be the same, as its highly inadvisable to break this law if you don't know what you are doing :)

I've got nothing against DIY electrics when done legally which is why I post here. Pulling main fuses is a different matter and really should be left to somebody who is competent with electrical work and knows exactly what they are doing!

I don't want to sound like i'm giving a lecture but pulling main fuses can easily end in

:cry:

PompeySparks said:
I don't want to sound like i'm giving a lecture but pulling main fuses can easily end in

:cry:
so true, but i didn't condone it, merely highlighting that there was an "easy way" to check the rating of the main fuse when adam151 said there wasn't ;) :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back