Service Fuse Size.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've moved to a 1930's house which has been rewired but i'm having an electric oven, hob and shower installed.

I'm told the house is likely to have a 60A service fuse and i'm concerned the extra load may cause problems.

Will this need upgraded to 80/100A ? and can an electrician do this or do I need to contact the electric company ?

Sponsored Links
Hi Diesel,
Your DNO, (local elec supplier) will upgrade your main fuse from a 60 to a 100a, always free of charge around here. Do you know what type of system you have TT TNCS etc ?? If you are on a TT (overhead) type supply, they may be able to convert it to a PME set-up, also at no extra charge !!!
Hope that this is of some help.

on a side note electric hobs are pants, they cost more to run and dont work as well.

showers are 50/50 pros and cons (main pro is it works when the boiler is broken, main con is they dont have a good output). electric fan ovens are fine.

EddieCurrent said:
they may be able to convert it to a PME set-up, also at no extra charge !!!

Not so. MEB charge £99 for this service. Not sure of others.

Sponsored Links
No charge in my area, sorry, I should have stated that regional costs may vary. :oops:

sm1thson said:
on a side note electric hobs are pants, they cost more to run and dont work as well.
Not strictly true. Sealed plate hobs are as you say pants, but decent ceramic, and especially induction hobs are moer efficient than gas.

WPD will NOT put in more than an 80amp on a standard supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back