Cut-out upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I currently have a 60A cut-out. Since I've got a 9.5kW electric shower, a fairly powerful electric hob, an electric oven etc etc I thought it was worth looking at getting the cut-out upgraded.

EDF (the DNO) are sending me a form to fill in, and have said it's free of charge assuming the network supports it, but advised me that I'll need to get my supplier to upgrade the tails between the cut-out and the meter, as they're only 16mm (I've confirmed this visually), and need to be 25mm. I'd always assumed that these were the DNOs responsibility, since presumably it requires opening the cut out to replace them?

(The tails from the meter onwards are fine, as I had my supplier install an isolator, and they used new 25mm tails to the isolator, and the tails to my CU from the isolator are 25mm. All of my earthing is fine - 16mm to CU, 10mm MEB etc, only possible issue is it's TN-S with a potentially undersized incoming earth, but I believe they can do TN-C-S in my area so might switch it to that which would presumably sort it out)

Basically, before I start having a nice long phone call trying to get through to someone at my supplier who understands what I'm asking for (took long enough to get the isolator sorted), could someone confirm whether those tails are my suppliers responsibility (and if anyone has any idea how much British Gas would charge to upgrade them to 25mm, that would be useful)?

Sponsored Links
Strange. Your "supplier" - ie. the people concerned with your pre-meter tails are the DNO.

Did they send you to find some sky hooks and tartan paint as well? :rolleyes:

Have the tails upgraded by all means, but chances are the cutout can take 100 amps almost indefinitely. Its the same people that do the job though.

they will do the tails to the meter when they arrive, they will want £150.00 for the pme (tnc-s)

Why are you wanting TNC-S?

If the Ze is OK and the DNO deem the existing csa acceptable, leave it as it is. If the Ze is not OK, then the DNO have a responsibility to make it so at their expense.

But they can be very laid back. United Utilities here in the NW treat a high Ze as non-emergency. Loss of supply is treated as requiring attendance within 4 hours, but, I was told today, a Ze of 154.7 was not an emergency & they would deal with it "ASAP". 12 hours later, a guy attended, decided the cable needed digging up & passed the job on to another gang.

On the other hand, a high Ze in Staffs (Central Networks) brought them out within the hour. It was 1500+ though!!

Sponsored Links
again another customer complaining about a supplier or dno not having a clue about isolators etc.

Surely these companies must get many phone calls requesting isolators / upgrades and the lot, why can't they get their act together and have standard policies for this? Are call centre agents really that thick?
Surely it is not rocket science to issue a memo to the call centre department instructing on how to proceed when a request for an isolator is made....

They don't care.

You can't get the work done by anyone else, so what does it matter to them if they are helpful or not?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back