Isolation switch between Consumer Unit & Meter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I'm having my CU upgraded(LACB informed), and thought of having an isolator switch fitted. Wondering what is the correct way to isolate the CU from the meter. Arranging the DNO to come & pull service fuse & install an isolator provided by me.

I was thinking maybe a 60amp Wylex switch fuse between meter & CU (as the main DNO service fuse is also 60amps). The cable runs between meter & CU are approx 1/2 metre in length.

The other option is a normal Wylex DP 100a Main switch housed in a IP65 enclosure in line between the meter & CU.

Whats the ideal option..

any help appreciated
thanks

[/url]

Sponsored Links
Hello all,
I'm having my CU upgraded(LACB informed), and thought of having an isolator switch fitted. Wondering what is the correct way to isolate the CU from the meter.
With a DP switch.

I was thinking maybe a 60amp Wylex switch fuse between meter & CU
Why a switchfuse?

The other option is a normal Wylex DP 100a Main switch housed in a IP65 enclosure in line between the meter & CU.
Why IP65?

Whats the ideal option..
Why not ask the competent electrician who's replacing your CU?

Thank you for your responses guys.
Ban-all-sheds, I did think a 100Amp dp switch will be ok.
You ask why a switch fuse? I was thinking maybe if the new tails from metre to CU were going to be longer, then a switch fuse may be necessary to protect the cables.
However, I don't think they will be more than a metre in length, so in this case I can negate the use of a switch fuse.

IP65 enclosure? - I know its mean't for sheds & garages, but its purely because its compact, has a visor, is robust looking & also aesthetically pleasing.....

I 've not decided on electrician yet, just doing my research on what I system I want & the cost implications i.e Dual RCDs or Main unit with RCBOs on all circuits.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hey Johnny, thanks for that link. I may consider this over the DP switch/ enclosure option

Just ask your electrician to run the meter tails direct from your meter to your CU, then you won't have the problem of a completely pointless switch burning out at some point in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back