isolator between cu and meter

Sponsored Links
SEC = Southern Electricity Contracting ..... or at least it is down my street in deepest sunny Hampshire (where the men are men, and the sheep are scared, etc., etc.)

...or was there more behind your question SS?

Encouraged by this topic I decided to ring Powergen to see what they do here (Hertfordshire) about fitting an isolator before the CU. Their queue was busy so I used the "ring me back" option, which they did about 15 mins later...

At first the person I spoke to said that she thought they would do it (the implication was that it would be free), then she went away to speak to her supervisor to check. She came back and said they he thought the same, but that since Siemens did the work for them she would check with them...

Then she came back again and apparently Siemens said that they don't do that (at all, let alone for nothing), and I should get a local electrician to do it! (So near and yet so far)

When I asked if they had to come out to disconnect for the local electrician to do the work, she said "Oh no, they'll disconnect it themselves". So they are effectively saying that breaking the seal on the service fuse isn't something they worry about.

Do "local electricians" tend to carry around lead seals/wire/crimping pliers to reinstate seals in cases like this?

Cheers,

Howard

Sponsored Links
HDRW - what a tale of woe!
This won't help - but I did much the same. Rang Powergen who gave me the contact number of the REC - which turned out to be "Central Networks". So I phoned them - got them to send me the paperwork - filled it in , sent it to - guess who - yup, Siemens, who turned up a few days later a fitted an isolator FOC!

Seems that the whole thing is a lottery and depends where you are, who the REC is and what planet is in the ascendency!!! Maybe you should threaten to bypass the meter - they'll come and fit an isolator then! :LOL:

despite careful bodger,
Our seals (new- post 2000 ish ) are still this type

sealswire.jpg

definitely lead and twist wire.
replacements available here
http://www.stephenpwales.co.uk/Product/misc/frames_seals.htm
regards M.

When we had an isolater fitted here, the REC guy (its central networks now, might have been eats mids electricity at the time :?: ), said that lead seals aren't used anymore because people used to blame missing seals on kids pulling them off etc, so they now used the stronger steel ones.

The electrian who moved the cu said they they used to, and in a few cases still do cut the seals, but the REC don't like that

i've never heared of anyone getting in any real trouble for cutting rec seals to do work

i even know of one sparky who took a hacksaw to a rec padlock once (iirc it was one soemthing like a 300A 3 phase MCCB incomer) and he didn't get anything more than a quick telling off for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back