isolator between cu and meter

lord nicon21 said:
not really but why .. i read stuff about you can't do it your self and stuff

Yeah,but no, but yeah but no! Fing is, you ring up the REC and ask THEM to fit an isolator! Tha way, you don't need to do it yourself! And most of them will do it for free or a very nominal charge. Much safer all round, everyone is happy, no-one gets fried!

Sponsored Links
ok ok so wait a min lets see if i have this right

put the cu in up to the REC then the get them to put an isolator in and plug it all in ?

Who do you plan to have install the new CU?

I'd not be surprised to find that DNOs, who have very sloping shoulders at the best of times, start picking up on the fact that DIY replacement of CUs is effectively pretty much a no-no, and stop doing isolation switches.

Last year I asked my DNO (Southern Electric) about fitting one and in effect their view was (and this was pre-Part P remember), "CU replacements must be done by qualified electricians, as they need certifying before connection to the supply, and we are happy for qualified electricians to pull the fuse, so why would you ever need an isolation switch?"

So why does my DNO fit them a standard in all local authority housing?

Sponsored Links
theshogun said:
Have you enquired to your REC about fitting isolation swich
Ours will fit for £35 +vat, not bad but not as good as free, but at least you'll be alive to see the money go out your bank a/c !

securespark said:
SEC have always been a bunch of tight, money-grabbing ****holes..

securespark said:
Maybe because these are let to people who pee themselves, lick their fingers and then mess with cables. Who knows? Have to cater for the lowest common denominator :rolleyes:

Because they can fit an isolator after the meter - then there IS NO NEED to pull a fuse to do electricals - so if a fuse has been pulled and seal broken they can "prove" theft of electricity!

That's a very good point.

They couldn't actually prove (i.e. beyond reasonable doubt) that you'd been stealing just on the basis of broken seals, but it would give cause for an investigation, so it seems a good reason to put an isolator in.

another possibility:

safety

picture this:

a customer is disconnected for nonpaying and this is often done by removing the service fuse (and sometimes sealing an empty carrier in)

the customer bodges round the service fuse.......

at least if they bypass a locked off isolator they haven't removed the overcurrent protection provided by the service fuse.

i think this is also why in a lot of some modern setups they put the service fuses in cabinets in groups rather than in the customers properties (this will cost more in cabling though)

does anyone know if Powergen will fit an isolator switch after the meter and how much they charge? i've taken out some very old wiring (rubber coated aluminium stuff) thats no longer used. However the 2 old switch fuse units are still connected to the henleybox and i dont want to work live on this or pull the service fuse. Also i will be able to fit or have fitted a new cu and get rid of the other individual switch fuse units.

Your best bet is to contact Powergen - chances are they won't be the one's in charge of the cables! BUT, they may have an arrangement with the REC to do the work. If nothing else, they'll be able to give you the right number to contact to organis getting the work done.
I contacted them and they arere very helpful - and the work was done for free!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back