SWA 6mm 2-core to main CU

Sponsored Links
Maybe pedantic, but Not sure how others feel about one of the Neons and its (short) possibly underated wiring, backed up by a 40 amp mcb though

Do you mean the "main power in" neon
You would accept a neon on a 45a switch ? i.e. shower, cooker whats the difference the 40a mcb protects the cable, apparently.

Regards,

DS

Maybe pedantic, but Not sure how others feel about one of the Neons and its (short) possibly underated wiring, backed up by a 40 amp mcb though

You would accept a neon on a 45a switch ? i.e. shower, cooker whats the difference the 40a mcb protects the cable, apparently.

Regards,

DS

They would be part of the switch accesory and such accesory normally supplied by a cable fused and capable of carrying 45 amp.

What cable csa would you assume most likely to be between the shed Cu rcd and that indicater labelled supply in and what size would you expect to conform to regs

In addition one would hope each indicater has its OWN neutral from the shed CU

So by now that 20mm pipe is getting a bit tight

Regards,

DS

They would be part of the switch accesory and such accesory normally supplied by a cable fused and capable of carrying 45 amp.

What cable csa would you assume most likely to be between the shed Cu rcd and that indicater labelled supply in and what size would you expect to conform to regs

Could I put in a 3a inline fuse to protect it?

Sponsored Links
Hold fire and see what others say, as I said i may be being a bit pedantic
What may help is if one day you could ISOLATE the switch in the house and get a picture of INSIDE the Shed CU.

Aside from that indicater
The other 3, as they are on there own MCB's they should have 3 seperate neutrals
An internal photo of the shed CU will reveal all
But ISOLATE at house first

There not major problems but seeing as you asked if the install was ok, they are things to bear in mind.

rather than an inline fuse a suitable CSA cable to that neon may be a cheaper alternative

What may help is if one day you could ISOLATE the switch in the house and get a picture of INSIDE the Shed CU.

Aside from that indicater
The other 3, as they are on there own MCB's they should have 3 seperate neutrals
An internal photo of the shed CU will reveal all
But ISOLATE at house first

There not major problems but seeing as you asked if the install was ok, they are things to bear in mind.

rather than an inline fuse a suitable CSA cable to that neon may be a cheaper
alternative

I'm just looking online now for the csa cable ... I had a quick look inside the cu after I took the pick at they do the separate neutral ect so they are protected by the mcb the cable feeding the neon is 1.5mm cable

To me its a bit of an odd one, knowing if the indicater is suitable to be backed up by by 40a mcb regardless of the cable CSA
As you said earlier an inline fuse maybe an option as the indicater would i assume be suitable for at least a 6amp cicuit.

such fuse could be mounted within the shed CU though as said earlier we may be nitpicking

It may just be easier to remove the whole neon setup.

Bit extreme though :) , one expects hed like to keep the set up, hence the talk about in line fuses and increased csa.
Some people like myself prefer to solve and remedy a problem rather than simply remove the offending item.

It looks like something a 10 year old would fit.

The neons aren't going to last being on 24/7

He inherited his setup

I think you probably are (being a bit pedantic) :). As discussed in the past, even a pretty small cable/conductor (which it probably is) would probably get adequate fault protection from a 40A OPD, and I can't for the life of me see how a neon is going to create an overload (as opposed to fault) situation.

Kind Regards, John

The cable needs no overload protection. It needs fault protection. You need to decided/determine if it does.

Personally, I would whip all the neons out. Pointless overkill really.

The cable needs no overload protection. It needs fault protection. You need to decided/determine if it does.
Indeed, that's what I said (or, at least, implied!) in the previous post. As I also said, per discussions (and calculations) we had a little while ago, a 'surprisingly small' cable gets adequate fault protection from a 40A MCB (IIRC, the calculations I did were for a 50A one) - so it's likely that, even if one is being 'pedantic', what the OP has is probably OK. I'll see if I can find the figures.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed, that's what I said (or, at least, implied!) in the previous post. As I also said, per discussions (and calculations) we had a little while ago, a 'surprisingly small' cable gets adequate fault protection from a 40A MCB (IIRC, the calculations I did were for a 50A one) - so it's likely that, even if one is being 'pedantic', what the OP has is probably OK. I'll see if I can find the figures.
Found ....
The red figures relate to what the situation will be next year if Amd3 of BS7671 sticks to Cmin=0.95, as in the draft, rather than the 0.94 which I, and others, suggested to them would be more sensible.

Kind Regards, John

Update

I have had the neon removed and also had the isolator switch in the first pic removed as it was not needed.. I also had a outside flood light fitted (150w) and I believe they had put it on the 6amp mcb

Also I have been told that I should have a sticker on the metal earthing box ( what the swa goes into) either say "electrical connection earth do not remove" does this sound right ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back