Terminate SWA armour outside and take just internal wires into house/CU?

Switchfuse in the (presumably) external meter cabinet. Job done. No RCD, no internal SWA. Everyone's a winner
True. I hadn't really thought about the possibility of an external meter cabinet. So, IF there is an external cabinet, and IF the DNO/supplier didn't object to a switch-fuse and Henley being installed on their board, then that would probably be a simple and tidy solution (albeit it would require having the cutout fuse pulled to install it). It would also then be, with no wriggle-room at all (not that I ever thought there was much!), a notifiable 'new circuit'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
True. I hadn't really thought about the possibility of an external meter cabinet. So, IF there is an external cabinet, and IF the DNO/supplier didn't object to a switch-fuse and Henley being installed on their board, then that would probably be a simple and tidy solution (albeit it would require having the cutout fuse pulled to install it). It would also then be, with no wriggle-room at all (not that I ever thought there was much!), a notifiable 'new circuit'.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for all the posts everyone, sorry I dissappeared for a day!

the external meter cabinet is the other side of the wall, so if I could take a feed from there that would be a perfect solution. What is the procedure for doing this? from what I've just read I would need the supplier to pull the main fuse?

the external meter cabinet is the other side of the wall, so if I could take a feed from there that would be a perfect solution. What is the procedure for doing this? from what I've just read I would need the supplier to pull the main fuse?
Yes, the supplier or DNO would have to pull the cutout fuse in order to enable the output of the meter to be split, with one of the branches feeding a switch-fuse for the garage supply.

Although the external box is not their property, the board on which the DNO and suupplier mount their equipment (cutout, meter) is and, at least in theory, they could object to your having anything of 'yours' attached to it. In practice, I doubt that they would have a problem with your doing what has been suggested (provided that it does not get in the way of their equipment), but (if you were prepared for the possibility of a 'no' answer!) you could ask them at the time you arranged for the fuse to be pulled.

However, as I wrote before, I think it would be impossible to argue that this was not notifiable work.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back