SWA 6mm 2-core to main CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so just moved in our house today and notice this:

40mcb in main cu to 10mm twin and Earth then it leads to a double pole 100amp isolator switch (in seperate housing about 1m away ) the next to that there is a metal box what the 6mm cable in from the shed. In the metal box the swa cable creates a earthing point as they used the armor as Earth ( the live and neutral go straight to the 100amp isolator switch) and the earth goes straight to the main cu ....

The cable is protected by the 40a mcb and i think there used the 100a as a main switch to cut both neutral and live off.. It work like a treat but does it sound correct in general

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
In the metal box the swa cable creates a earthing point as they used the armor as Earth ( the live and neutral go straight to the 100amp isolator switch) and the earth goes straight to the main cu ....
l

Dont get that bit :confused:

Sounds more like the T+ E earth is used from the CU to the box, then the armour used from box to garage, if so how is that T+E earth Terminated to the box

Thanks.

So this is at the shed end:

What I can work out is that the 4 neons what you can see in picture one and the last one, so if you turn off or the mcb trips it turns the neon off I'm not sure why it been added for who knows ? Any suggestions?

Also there is another isolator as you can see in the picture

the 16a mcb is on 2.5mm cable with only 3 double sockets
The light are on a 6a mcb using 1mm cable

Also there is a commando socket outside with is one a 10a mcb using 2.5mm cable (be handy for the caravan)

Can anybody see any problems?

In the metal box the swa cable creates a earthing point as they used the armor as Earth ( the live and neutral go straight to the 100amp isolator switch) and the earth goes straight to the main cu ....
l

Dont get that bit :confused:

Sounds more like the T+ E earth is used from the CU to the box, then the armour used from box to garage, if so how is that T+E earth Terminated to the box

Go it compleatly wrong well spotted :/ the earth cable from metal box what comes from the swa cable it is connected to the t+e earth what the goes back to the main cu

Nothing wrong with what is there. The neons are just indicators, presumably the previous owner wanted to see at a glance that power was there.

How does the SWA connect into the shed consumer unit?

Nothing wrong with what is there. The neons are just indicators, presumably the previous owner wanted to see at a glance that power was there.

How does the SWA connect into the shed consumer unit?

It comes in via the top of the shed then goes into a metal box what again it used the swa armor as a earth the the live and netural go straight in the isolator switch in pic one... Then into the cu rcd

The earth comes from the metal box and then into the earth point in the cu

What im questioneing is HOW the earth changes from the armour/metal box to get to the CU at one end and also at the shed end

We are aware that one earth is armour into a metal box and the Other earth is the earth core of a T+E cable
What i would like to know is how and if the two are joint

Ie, how is the T+E earth wire connected to the metal boxes

Im sure judging by looks, its fine as it appears quite an over the top, no expense spared install

Maybe pedantic, but Not sure how others feel about one of the Neons and its (short) possibly underated wiring, backed up by a 40 amp mcb though

What im questioneing is HOW the earth changes from the armour/metal box to get to the CU at one end and also at the shed end

We are aware that one earth is armour into a metal box and the Other earth is the earth core of a T+E cable
What i would like to know is how and if the two are joint

Ie, how is the T+E earth wire connected to the metal boxes

Im sure judging by looks, its fine as it appears quite an over the top, no expense spared install

What I can see it uses one of these Piranha Earth Locking Nuts at each end

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/PRPEN20X.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back