Replacement consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I will be getting an electrician to replace my consumer unit with a much larger one, rather than adding a 2nd one.

To do this, the electrician will require the prepaid meter present to be isolated.

I contacted EDF, my electric board, who will come out and disconnect in the morning, and reconnect in the afternoon. They will need access to a basement room in the flat which I will arrange with building management.

During the day the CU will be replaced.

Is this a standard procedure? I feel it is a lot of hassle for a consumer unit replacement.

NB. EDF has said they do not offer to fit isolators, which I understand is an alternative to the above, unfortunately not on offer.

Sponsored Links
Supply your own isolator. Pre-wire it with tails for connection to the meter, connect it while the DNO is there. When they have gone, connect your old installation to the output terminals. Then in future, you can have the CU changed at your will.

Steve thank you for the quick response.

I will raise these ideas with my electrician but would like to clarify, the Isolater sits before the meter? or between the meter and CU?

Also, what do you mean by DNO?

After further reading this forum, the Isolator I understand sits between Meter and CU. (thanks to so many posts elsewhere!).

And DNO stands for Distributor Network Operator, i.e. EDF.

Just one more query on the topic... An isolator seems to look like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=80187

Does this actually go into the CU? If it does then doesn't that mean it'll be difficult to change the CU in future (heaven forbid).

Or does this type of isolator go in its own box? Or is there a completely different type of isolator?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
No, that is an isolator to fit in a CU as a main switch,not a seperate isolation switch.

Wingcoax you are so wrong.
Put that MK 100A double pole isolator in a 2 way DIN rail box and its job done..

My local DNO supplies the Proteus version of the one the OP has shown in a nasty plastic box.

Right... I have a much clearer understanding now.

I have just booked EDF to come out to temporary disconnect electricity on Sept 3rd, I took their first availble date and they'll do this for free. They told me to ensure electrician does not tamper with electric meter seal, fair enough!

Hi Charlie you have gone about things the correct way, The DNO were a bit petty minded refusing to install an Isolator at the same time though !

In practice many Electricians will break the seal and pull the fuse themselves...this is illegal but is understandable due to all the hassle involved liasing with the DNO. You would be well advized to supply your own Isolator because if the Electrician is delayed for some reason then it will cause big problems.

.Ensure you get an Electrical Installation Certificate and provision of a Building Compliance Notification Certificate off your Electrician to cover this work.

Yes am going to be prepared by getting the isolator in advance, am in the process of getting a few quotes on the work too.

The advice regarding paperwork, the installation certificate I believe is the Part P related self cert bit, but I am not aware of the Building Control bit? Is this seperate and what is it for exactly?

I understand I don't need to go though my LABC if getting a Part P electrician.

thanks and apologies for the novice queries! i'm sure the answers are helping novices alike.

Please can I get some further advice? I have uploaded some pictures showing the work.

The picture shows a large grey box at the bottom, this is where an electric cable enters from the left, the cable originates from the outside of the property. I'm not sure what the grey box is for?!

Then there is the prepay meter, that's about 2 years old. Seal intact.

Then the old consumer unit.

From the looks of things, would you say my idea of just putting in an isolator whilst the DNO has temporarily cut the power is a good idea.

Can the work be done in the space of a few hours?
Any ideas what the grey box in the bottom is? An MET bar by any chance or do I not have one?!

the "grey box" is a piecs of trunking.. it's just for hiding the cables..

you have MICC main cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back