Earthing Rod

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any danger in adding an earthing rod to an existing MiniCU in a shed.

Sponsored Links
I haven't said I want to. I've asked if there is any danger in doing so.

Sponsored Links
Is there any danger in adding an earthing rod to an existing MiniCU in a shed.
No.

Although, strictly speaking, it may not be an earthing rod, but just a bit of metal in the ground which you have bonded.
Are there any other metal parts emerging from the ground in the shed which are bonded?

It's purely hypothetical there was a post on someone else's very old post saying it would make it more dangerous. I couldn't work out how.

Small bits of metal bonded are not a danger, however large lumps can allow large currents to flow, four earth rods one in each corner of the garden with copper strip buried between them laid as an earth for a radio transmitter was good enough under fault conditions to melt the 4mm earth cable which connected the shack to the house, but this is extreme, most would not have such a good earth.

Also using copper earth rods with a shed made of steel can cause erosion of the steel. I have seen steel waste pipes neck off as they go into the ground. However it takes a long time and so in general no problem putting in bonded metal in the ground.

With a IT earth system it is not permitted, but only place we have an IT supply is in the bathroom and there is not earth on that supply. Also using the old now banned ELCB-v it could stop it working fitting another earth.

If you don't want to, then any danger, or not, is of no interest to you.

Ah, so now you think that people should only be allowed to learn about something if they intend to apply that knowledge? They are not allowed to be interested in anything or acquire any knowledge just because they are interested? Really??

Hmm, wasn't there a whole thread on just this subject (almost) just recently - the proposal to adda requirement for a local earth rod on every installation. IIRC there were a range of views from "no problem at all" through to "could create significant hazards".

Hmm, wasn't there a whole thread on just this subject (almost) just recently - the proposal to adda requirement for a local earth rod on every installation. IIRC there were a range of views from "no problem at all" through to "could create significant hazards".
There was (I believe that I started it :) ).

As I've said, it seems to me that those who feel that it "could create significant hazards" are (IMO!) ignoring (a) the fact that a very substantial proportion (probably still a substantial majority) of properties already have bonded extraneous-c-ps (in which case adding a further earth rod clearly makes very little difference) and (b) even if there are no bonded extraneous-c-ps the resistance/impedance of virtually all domestic (and probably most commercial) earth rods is sufficiently high that the horror stories about 'enormous currents' (and fires) in the case of a 'lost neutral' are simply not well-founded.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back