Easiest way to find the radiator flow "order"

Some of you guys here have gotta be on crack. :LOL: :LOL:

Balancing takes all of 10 minutes in the real world. :D

Sponsored Links
Balancing takes all of 10 minutes in the real world. :D
I'd love to see you balance a 10 rad system when you start with fully open lockshields, and realise a stable 20K drop over boiler F&R in 10 minutes.
Stable being the operative word.

Experience dear boy experience.

It's not hard to work out the pipe route the installer would have used in 90% of cases , seems something which is done on a daily basis and second nature to an experienced installer has made for 3 pages of drivel. ;)

That's the beauty of the drayton TRV , self balancing in most cases due to the orifice size of valve.

Wow, long thread! Thank you all for your contributions.

I was asked by the fellow who is going to do the balancing to experiment with the rads and see which one effects which other one so he can get a better idea of where to start and how the piping's been done. His method is to work backwards from the last radiator.

I admit my presumption was that there is a flow order based on proximity to the boiler (it's when he said he works backwards from the last rad that made me think this), so I thought that would be useful to find out this and pass it on. It seems that's not the case and I'd be better off just writing down what is currently happening in my system rather than faffing about and confusing myself. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Experience dear boy experience.
Oh, please, not the old "I've been doing this for 30 years" routine again in stead of any proof of results. The amount of times I have heard this one and found a system full of faults, beggars believe. Just stick to verifiable facts if you can.

That's the beauty of the drayton TRV , self balancing in most cases due to the orifice size of valve.
1. I did specify: a 10 rad system when you start with fully open lockshields.

2. It takes waaaaaaaaayy longer than 10 minutes to stabillise a system. If you do it in 10, your "proof" is "oh, I just know it will be fine". :rolleyes:

3. 99% of systems do not have Drayons, so what do you do then?

4. Even if there were Drayton trv's on all but one rad, I know from experience that they do NOT realise a 20K drop over boiler F&R as specified in M.I.; I used exclusively trv4's for about 3 years.

This all makes me wonder, which thermometer do you use when you fill in the benchmark?
[/b]

Ben , maybe a few more years in the trade and a little more experience under the belt you will look back at this thread with a smile.

I was asked by the fellow who is going to do the balancing to experiment with the rads and see which one effects which other one so he can get a better idea of where to start and how the piping's been done. ...
Hire somebody else; this one sentence gives evidence twice that he doesn't know what he is doing. :rolleyes:
Any where between full capacity and minimum capcity, every rad that is squeezed to required drop will influence ALL other rads.
It makes absolutelty zero difference where you start, which also shows that he is clueless.
Are you sure he is really Gas Safe Registered?

Ben , maybe a few more years in the trade and a little more experience under the belt you will look back at this thread with a smile.
Oh dear, just what I thought: big, but empty words and not shred of evidence. "Oif been doin this for thi'ty years moite, you dount need to tell me nuffink". :rolleyes:
How sad.

1. I did specify a 10 rad system when you start with fully open lockshields

Yes , TRVs on flow , lockshields on return , are you confusing wheel heads with lockshields? , in most cases lockshields can be left fully open when using TR4s.

"Oif been doin this for thi'ty years moite, you dount need to tell me nuffink". :rolleyes:
How sad.

Proof in the CC that this is not the case Ben , maybe tail between the legs when we get back in there? ;)

1. I did specify a 10 rad system when you start with fully open lockshields
Yes , TRVs on flow , lockshields on return , are you confusing wheel heads with lockshields? , in most cases lockshields can be left fully open when using TR4s.
And what happens when ( as 9 out of 10 houses have ) the trv's are either fully open or fully shut?
Indeed, the rads that are open rely fully on the setting of the lockshields, which you left at full flow -> drop of 3-5 K. :rolleyes:

Just out of interest, what were you F&R measurements on the boiler for the last benchmark you filled out?

Just looked in CC, but didn't see any thread started by you giving proof. What's the thread called?

Generally speaking.

Weren't you the one who thought TT figures were abitrary? , the calculations provided proved this is not the case , 'school boy errors' were mentioned by others too. ;)

You may fool the untrained in here regards your knowledge but certainly not in the CC.

Weren't you the one who thought TT figures were abitrary?
Yes, I was, and I still do.

... the calculations provided proved this is not the case ...
No, they did not. The reason they did not prove tt values to be arbitrary, is that the foundation of the explanation was arbitrary in and of itself.
You can say a centimetre is not an arbitrary value, because it is 1% of a metre, and the metre is clearly defined. What people fail to see, is that the metre-definition is arbitrary to begin with.
In the same fashion, the aforementioned calculations of tt only indicate how they came to the standard. They do not, by any stretch of the imagination, demonstrate let alone prove, that the situation would be unacceptabley more dangerous if the time was set at 100 seconds in stead of 2 minutes.
Besides, all that was done, was quote a certain reference document.
But by all means, do present proof right here, right now showing that either of my convictions is wrong.

Ps

"Everybody knows that" does not count as proof, and neither does "you'll understand when you're older". :rolleyes: They are merely variations on the "you don't need to tell me nuffink" routine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back