Easifill bubbles!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am really enjoying my experiences with easifill. I have used it to very good effect to fix up awful walls ahead of painting. I've also used it to tape the joints of plasterboards and feather this out ahead of painting. Here's one of the better examples:
upload_2020-7-21_9-17-31.png

An issue I've now seen a few times is that it bubbles occasionally. You can see some examples in this image:
upload_2020-7-21_9-16-50.png

It's only ever happened on pre-painted surfaces. I've then gone in and popped and carved out the bubbles, applied PVA and gone again but would be very interested to learn why this happens and how it can be avoided. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I’m unsure. I only used PVA when repairing the bubbles. I don’t think it helped

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has come across this bubbling issue with easifill.

Would love to hear from you.

Sponsored Links
The bubbles are often caused by the water in the filler reactivating something below the filler. In this case it may be water seeping through emulsion over lining paper which then reactivates the lining paper glue.

I normally apply a shellac based paint such as Zinsser BIN or Smith and Rogers Blockaid. They dry extremely quickly and stop the water penetrating the substrate. Not cheap though.

Rather then PVA I would recommend SBR as a spot primer. It is almost as cheap as PVA but it does not emulsify when it gets wet but it will take longer to dry than the shellac paints. A couple of hours versus 15 mins.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back