Easily scratched glass - faulty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed the cellophane covering from 2 x Howdens 4 panel 2 light glazed doors (http://www.howdens.com/doors-joinery-collection/internal-doors/internal-hardwood-doors/4-panel-oak-2-light-glazed/). The cellophane needed cutting around the edge of the glass otherwise untidy bits were left. I carefully cut the cellophane piece into quarters using a Stanley knife which was fine, until the final 2 sides I was doing.

The glass now has a big scratch down the middle, the previous were fine with the same technique. The glass is stamped as BS EN12150 standard:

- Should this glass scratch so easily with a metal blade?
- Can the glass be replaced?

I spoke to Howdens and they just say it would scratch and couldn't assist with replacements. Really frustrated that the sides I tested on were fine, but not all of them. I also thought toughened glass was tough!

Any help really appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back