easy dimmer switch question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just bought one of those touch/remote dimmer switches.I have gone to fit it but in my existing switch i have 2 live wires connected in a L1 and L2 form. The neitral wires from main and ceiling light are connected in a plastic block and 2 earths are connected to the metal box in the wall. How do i connect the dimmer? wire up as conventinal live and neutral perhaps???

Sponsored Links
Instructions say I should connect the lve and neutral wires to the new switch. Although i am confused cos the old switch has the 2 live wires connected to L1 and L2. The neutrals are connected together and earths are connected to box in the wall.
Is it a case of rewiring the dimmer as the instructions, considering that is a lot different to how it is now?

do the instrutions really say connect the live and neutral to the switch?
because as you have questioned if you were to do that the switch would go bang.

no connect it as it is and leave the neutrals in their choc block.

Sponsored Links
it shows a red wire(live) going to live connecter, and black or blue(neutral) going to load connecter.shall i leave earth connected to box or shall i connect that to face plate too as indicated?

thepic you mention is showing how it is normaly done. (i shall explain)

normally you only have 1 cable, 3 wires brown, blue and bare copper

(or red black and bare copper)

in this case brown is live and blue is switched live (i.e it goes live when the switch is operated) it should be marked with brown tape or sleeving.

but in your particular situation, you have 2 cables

one cable is the supply from the mains

the other is the feed to the light

since you only switch the live, the blacks have been joined in a choc bloc which is correct.

so you should connect the live and switched live to the switch and leave the neutrals where they are

look at it this way.

you have 2 blacks connected together (fine and perfectly o.k.) thisleaves you 2 reds o connect to the switch.

as i said most people will only have 1 red and 1 black (old colours)

so in their case they appear to have live and neutral, but in fact they have live and switched live.

if you want to have a look in another switch.

Okey Dokey, Thanks alot.
I did actually connect it initially with L1 and L2 with the 2 lives. but I was dubious.
I will re connect again, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back