Easy Light switch question?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am moving out of a rented property. When i moved in I replaced the light switches around the property - i now need to put the old ones back. I have done all of them, except one.

This particular light switch has 2 switches that control 2 different lights. (one of the lights has a separate switch on the opposite wall).

The switch(and wiring) are both quite old.

The inside of the switch is in the following order:

TOP:
L1 L2 COMMON

BOTTOM
COMMON L1 L2

There are 4 wires - 2 red and 2 white. (I think these are quite old)

All I need to know is where do I put the wires? (I have put them in and the light works, but it doesn't switch off, so I have obviously done something wrong)

I have changed a few switches before now but, this has stumped me and I am positive it has nothing to do with returning from a muddy glastonbury festival.. (as the property is rented i am liable to pay a large fee the to the landlord if anything is damaged or not working so need to change it back)

Can anybody help me please?!!

(Alternatively, what is the going price to pay to an electrician to change a light switch as I may just call one out anyway!??????)

A Big Thanks

Sponsored Links
3 things

see for reference section

call electrician

note my signature

Odd that you were able to successfully remove the old switch and replace it with a new one, presumably by just copying how the old one was wired up, but you can't reverse the process.

Red and white wires??

And no earth? :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back