Eaves protection system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I've had a quote to have an Eaves Protection System installed along a 5m length of a tiled roof. The first row of tiles will have to be taken off and then replaced in order to install it. There's no scaffolding needed. As we don't have time to get another quote (he'd like to start work tomorrow) would anybody be able to say if £650 is a reasonable price? The guy seemed genuine but we'd just like to check!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys

I've had a quote to have an Eaves Protection System installed along a 5m length of a tiled roof. The first row of tiles will have to be taken off and then replaced in order to install it. There's no scaffolding needed. As we don't have time to get another quote (he'd like to start work tomorrow) would anybody be able to say if £650 is a reasonable price? The guy seemed genuine but we'd just like to check!

Thanks in advance!

More detail of the job is needed but that sounds like a lot. 'Eaves protection' is usually just a formed plastic strip that slides under the eaves tiles to guide water into the gutter, as a retrofit they're useful where roofing felt has deteriorated. Screwfix sell these for example..

http://www.screwfix.com/p/felt-support-tray-1-5m-pack-of-5/36622

The bottom row of tiles is not normally attached to the fascia board so protectors can just be pushed in and held by the weight of tiles. Here's a video of someone fitting them..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XukZhqz9AF4

I'd be concerned about taking the first row of tiles off and how they will be refitted without damaging the roof. Why do you want this job done, is there evidence that the eaves aren't draining into the gutter correctly?

Whats he doing?

What for £650 is he installing?

Eave trays and bird comb filler units cost pennies!

What type of tiles do you have?

He's ripping you off thats why he wants to start right away!!

Oh dear, thanks for the replies.

This doesn't sound good :/

we have water leaking into the back bedroom because the felt is failing on the Northern side of the house at the back. Unfortunately because we have a large conservatory he will be going over the roof from the front.

I don't know what kind of tiles they are exactly, clay curved ones I think.. He's just retrofitting the EPS bits...

If it weren't for the access issue I think we would attempt this ourselves if the tiles didn't need removing.

Perhaps we will try and get some more quotes. The issue is getting someone to actually come around and do the work before the weather turns too bad.

Sponsored Links
2 Tower scaffolds and youngmans board to span the conservatory?

Sounds like a nightmare tbh.

Oh dear, thanks for the replies.

This doesn't sound good :/

we have water leaking into the back bedroom because the felt is failing on the Northern side of the house at the back. Unfortunately because we have a large conservatory he will be going over the roof from the front.

I don't know what kind of tiles they are exactly, clay curved ones I think.. He's just retrofitting the EPS bits...

If it weren't for the access issue I think we would attempt this ourselves if the tiles didn't need removing.

Perhaps we will try and get some more quotes. The issue is getting someone to actually come around and do the work before the weather turns too bad.

Difficult access could add a fair bit to the cost but the thing I'd be concerned about is whether fitting eaves trays will cure the problem. If the roof is working properly there shouldn't be leaks into a bedroom even if there's no felt at all. The felt is to reduce air flow and to catch minor leaks under severe weather conditions, if water is routinely getting through the roof there may be another underlying cause in need of repair.

Well as long as our neighbours didn't mind it would be possible to create a bridge I expect but it's a lot of work for such a small job hence why he's happy to use ropes. Even so, if materials are going to be under £100 and I know he's not even expecting it to be a whole days work, an extra £550 for his efforts does seem rather expensive?!

It does take a heavy rain and it is only in the corners by the outside wall where we have the water getting in. From the outside the roof looks in very good condition aside from the moss which has formed all along the edge (only on the Northern facing side of the house) and there are run marks on the fascia so that's what the guy said he'd made his judgement on. He did also suggest that the very top bit could do with repointing but as that's a less important job and money I tight, we're looking to have that done in the spring/summer.

Given that the guy said he can do it tomorrow it's tempting to say yes but it's a lot of money for us so I think we will try and get a couple more quotes to compare before we go ahead. He also only guarantees his work leak proof for 12 months which doesn't seem very long!

Thanks for the advice guys, very helpful :)

Sounds very dear to me, the fascias soffits and gutters fully replaced would be cheaper in white. On most connys you can slip a sheet out and put the ladders through

Also if you get a roofer to repoint the ridge tiles (which is probably where the water is getting in/ or broken tiles) get him to price for the eaves trays ( if you have the rounded tiles make sure he uses the bird combed ones/little dearer)

... From the outside the roof looks in very good condition aside from the moss which has formed all along the edge (only on the Northern facing side of the house) ...

s60tsy is right that failed pointing and/or broken tiles are the main cause of roof leaks - if yours look ok the moss may be causing the problem. Is the moss thick enough to stop water running freely to the gutter? if so you may only need to clean it off and empty the gutters to fix the roof. Certainly worth doing that before anything else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back