Economical, fast and comfortable estate car?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!
I run a petrol Rover 75 2.5 automatic - great car for speed on straight runs and marvellously comfortable (like a limousine), great for taking passengers in style - but not economical, not suitable for taking rubbish to the tip etc., doesn't do bendy country lanes easily and no street cred (despite being over 40 yrs of age). So bought a manual petrol 1.8 Honda Civic VTech hatchback - more economical, actually faster, great on the straight and country lanes, almost an estate car with back seats folded down and a 'wolf in sheep's clothing' for those who don't know them.
The idea was to sell the Rover, but I couldn't bring myself to get rid. I love them both. Plus I couldn't get much money for the Rover - grossly undervalued since the company went bust.
I have been running both cars for a couple of years now - much to the delight of family and friends as I always have a car for them to borrow.
Now I have a new partner with an over large labrador dog and we take regular trips out in one or other of my cars. As he moults incessantly and enjoys rolling in mud (the dog, that is!) or swimming in any water he can find, this is taking its toll on my back seats.
I feel it is now time to get an estate car - but what to get? Naturally I will have to sell the Rover and Honda (and learn not to get so attached to cars). However I do still want comfort and speed and with the cost of fuel the most economical I can find. Preferably under 3 years old and under £8,000.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Sue

Sponsored Links
how fast do you want it to go? speed and economy dont go together.

Oooh! How do I describe the speed I'm looking for; borrowed a 1.8 Rover 75 diesel the other day and found that to be both speedy enough and economical. In fact, I complained to my friend that the fuel gauge wasn't working... but was politely informed that it could do up to 500 miles on half a tank!?!

And with regard to the pooch: he's sitting quietly next to me at this very moment. Love him dearly but don't love the mess. He's also had a 'bad stomach' recently..... but I'm sure you don't want me to describe that :eek:

Sponsored Links
Oooh! How do I describe the speed I'm looking for; borrowed a 1.8 Rover 75 diesel the other day and found that to be both speedy enough and economical. In fact, I complained to my friend that the fuel gauge wasn't working... but was politely informed that it could do up to 500 miles on half a tank!?!

And with regard to the pooch: he's sitting quietly next to me at this very moment. Love him dearly but don't love the mess. He's also had a 'bad stomach' recently..... but I'm sure you don't want me to describe that :eek:

so you actually dont want to go very fast at all if you think a rover diesel is speedy :p

my suggestion is to look on ebay in your area, price range and age range and see what is out there to choose from. just dont buy anything off it :LOL:

you could buy a protective rug for less than the cost of a car

I hate dogs in the car with their hairs and mud.

a much understimated, little known, and superb and reilable estate is the mitsubishi galant.

Ultra reliable, engines are available in 2.0 n/a, 2.5 n/a, and 2.5 twin turbo, which is a proper rapid sleeper. The 2.0 n/a will be nippy enough without sucking too much petrol.
Sport models tend to come with leather, subtle bodykit and other goodies.

Finding one is the difficult thing though, but youll find that most are low mileage as they are not known about , and not used as rep cars etc.

I had a Volvo 850 turbo diesel estate for ten years; plenty of torque, fast enough and with good handling, it made a good tow vehicle and a superb work horse, which could be persuaded to give fuel consumption in the mid-40s mpg.

Until it got written off by a hit and run trucker. I still wish I could have it back.

Sponsored Links
Back