car repair rover metro

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there anyone who can help with my problem. I own a rover metro 1.4Gsi, its a P reg and I have had it for the last 4 years. Recently I had it in the garage for a service has I had planned a trip to Wales with my partner. My normal usage of the car is very local with occasional long trips. Two days later the car broke down, the engine was running but there was no acceleration. I wasn't driving it at the time but went to check on it a few hours later and managed to move to outside my property. I informed the garage who came out and ended up taking it in saying it was the fuel injection, he located another one and fitted it but wasn't happy. He said he needed to get to the bottom of the problem and when probing further discovered what he called slurry like mixture in the fuel pump, so ordered in the end a brand new one, fitted this and then said he was puzzled as to what was wrong with the car and couldn't do anymore and suggested we take it to Rover dealer to have a look at as he didn't know what else to do. can anyone help as to what I do next, do I pay for the parts he has put in and fitted despite the fact that I still have a car which is not running? is it worth trying the Rover dealer as I know it will cost a fortune and the nearest dealer is 20 miles away , the car is not running so it would mean them coming to take it away. should I just scrap it and forget about it, I just don't know the answer please help if you can.

Sponsored Links
sounds like the typical back street mechanic sadly,what he meant by changing the fuel injection is anybodys guess,there are quite a lot of components linked to it and its impossible to diagnose over the internet
what did you have done to the car at the service?
was it running ok before the work?
if you had "slurry" in the fuel pump it sounds as if water has found its way into your petrol tank,does the car sit outside a lot with little use?

Yes the car was working ok when it went in for a service, the garage we used is one which we have used in the past. Unfortunately neither my partner or myself know anything about cars so we have to trust someone to do it. We park the car outside on the street and as we do not need to use it for work it can be stood for a couple of days at a time without use and when it does gets used its only for a few miles. the garage did mention something about water in the petrol, I asked how this would have got in he didnt know. We usually buy our petrol from sainsburys. I'm not sure what the garage is going to charge for the work they have done but do you think we should pay, they have already said with the time spent on it and the parts it would cost at least £600.00 but I'm hoping thats not what they are going to charge us. Would it be worth taking it to another garage? The car is still with the garage, they are suposed to be bringing it back to us sometime. Just had it taxed and insured too.

Sponsored Links
I think you need advice from outside this forum with regard to your legal obligation to pay.A fuel pressure check would probably have shown a faulty pump and I would have thought a diagnostic readout from the e.c.u. could have pointed the repairer in the right direction to locating the problem.Try(Trading Standards) for advice.www.consumerdirect.gov.uk

:cry:

Back