Rover Metro idling problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just wondering if anyone could offer advice on a problem I have had since inheriting my Grandmothers 1991 Rover Metro. I have had some dodgy cars in the past but this problem I have been unable to fix, nor do I know why its happening.

Whilst idling normally approaching or at traffic lights, and it seems randomly, the engine would appear to lose pressure and then cut out completely. I have had this problem for about 8 months now and since it started I have had a new head gasket put on, cleaned the carb-type thing and increased the idling speed on the carb. It still seems to lose pressure occasionally but not as much, more than likely due to the increased idling speed.

I discovered today that if I take the oil filler cap off with the engine running the idling speed increases and the engine takes air in through the filler cap. Could this be a problem with the air intake?

Cheers for any help.

Sponsored Links
If it runs better with the filler cap off then i'd say youve got a blocked oil breather pipe somewhere.

Go through all your pipes one by one taking them off, cleaning out with petrol or carb cleaner.

May also be a metal gauze filter either in the filler cap or one of the pipes to the air filter.

If this is a "A" series engine,(not sure when the "K" came in)the oil filler cap was changed on the 24000 mile service,to prevent things like this happening.
Also,if it is carb equipped,the dashpot could stick slightly causing the engine to stop.Three screws to remove it,polish inner bore with brake fluid.Don't forget to fill with oil after refitting.

Sponsored Links
Back