High Idle - FIXED!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Some of you may remember me having issues with a high idle on a 206 1.4 Auto. I had the timing belt replaced and had the garage look at an oil leak coming from the head gasket (Garage advised to leave well alone).

I'm not sure I can explain why but since the cambelt was replaced there has been no idling issues. The engine also sounds quiter and MPG has improved. The engine still had the original belt fitted (11yrs! 40K). I guess the belt must have been slack when engine cold and was causing the timing to be out, but how would this cause a high idle?

Second thing, I replaced the MAP sensor because the readings seemed to be out when measured against a Vaccum gauge. Since being replaced the engine warms up quicker and now operates at 86ish, while before it would take a longtime to warm up and would operate at around 75ish. I guess the MAP sensor was causing over-fuelling? I suppose the two combined could have caused the high idle. Funny ha?

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Cheers.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Nice one....these problems can be mighty awkward to sort.
My own guess is that a sensor connection was maybe made better when someone was working in the timing belt area, but no matter!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back