peugeot 206 idle problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i have a 2001 peugoet 206 1.4 engine, when startin the car the idle usually heads up to around 2500 rpm, then comes down and sits at around 1100 rpm, on coming down it stutters at around the 2000 rpm, the car surprising drives well, apart from when stoping at a junction the idle moves at between 1500 rpm to around 2200 rpm, any ideas on this, has been to 2 seperate car garages who are out of ideas, so far have replaced all the fault codes which were lamba sensor, fuel injector number 4, and also the idle cont valve has been changed, and yet still the same. any ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have you swapped the Air reg? Sometimes if this is faulty it can cause those issues..

The temperature thermsistor is faulty, thats the one fitted to the engine block where the hose somes out to go to the top of the radiator, it is brown in colour. Some times it is just a matter of releasing the spring clip, pulling off the connector and cleaning the contacts with WD40. otherwise its just a simple operation to unscrew it and replace it with new. A new one will cost you about 15 quid, but if you go to a Peugoet garage to get it changed it will cost you about 90 quid.

Sponsored Links
yeah plugs were changed at last service, what is the air reg ? sorry dont really have a great deal of car knowledge

tried giving the temperature thermsistor a clean, no difference, will i be able to get a replacement and any parts place or will i need to go to peugeot, is it just a case of screwing it off, thanks

have a placed a foto of the engine in my albums, if possible from the pic, would you be able to say where the air reg would be, also where the
temperature thermsistor is just to make sure am at the right area, thanks

tried giving the temperature thermsistor a clean, no difference, will i be able to get a replacement and any parts place or will i need to go to peugeot, is it just a case of screwing it off, thanks
Any parts place will have one or order one for you, try googling Peogeut Spares. You simply unscrew the brown sensor and screw in the new. takes less than 5 minutes.

Might be worth cleaning the Idle air control valve (IAC) in the inlet manifold on the top of the engine to one side. Clean with a carburettor cleaner.

Or you may have an air leak into the inlet manifold through a cracked rubber pipe.

I think a previous thread on this forum (206 1.4 auto idle issue) talked about a 206 with similar problem and it was the purge valve sticking open. After 48 posts!

Hi scojototo,

I'm the guy that had the same issue with my wife's 206. Was in the dealers three times and turned out to be the purge valve.

The purge valve is located in the right-hand corner of the engine bay, behind the coolant expansion tank. Part was £17 from peugeot.

I didn't fit it, so can't really help much. Might be able to do it yourself with the help of a haynes manual.

Regards

Peter

thanks will try that then, does any one know wat the purge valve looks like, thanks

Usually mounted on or beside a small black cylindrical tank. It will have small black vacuum pipes and wires going into it. Takes the fumes from the petrol tank and allows the engine to take them in at the correct time.

But if unsure ask someone (maybe the breaker or main dealer where you will get a good valve). A 206 Haynes manual may not be that dear on E-Bay.

just off the fone from peugeot says the part was £45 pounds, he classed it as a depollution canister, would this be the right name for the purge valve, thanks

Sponsored Links
Back